[comp.lang.pascal] Suggestion for TP on Other Computers

lins@Apple.COM (Chuck Lins) (11/14/89)

In article <6422@merlin.usc.edu> ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>>In article <9686@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> LUKRW@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:
>The most important single aspect where i might have differed from
>Borland is that i'd have taken more trouble to create TP
>implementations for a coupla other standard machines (Sun, Mac, etc.).
>That way, a user has more portability.  I've often got stranded when
Actually, Borland did move TP to the Mac. Big-time flop. Apple's MPW Object
Pascal and Symantec's THINK Pascal essentially have a lock on the market
(though a small share goes to TML Pascal).

--
Chuck Lins               | "Exit left to funway."
Apple Computer, Inc.     | Internet: lins@apple.com

daveg@near.cs.caltech.edu (Dave Gillespie) (11/16/89)

In article <36445@apple.Apple.COM> lins@Apple.COM (Chuck Lins) writes:
>Actually, Borland did move TP to the Mac. Big-time flop...

I was hired a while back by a small CAD company to port their Turbo Pascal
application to the Mac.  We originally planned to use Turbo-for-the-Mac but
had to give up on it because a) it was incredibly buggy and b) it actually
compiled a different dialect of Pascal than the PC version!  I think if
Borland had created a _real_ Turbo Pascal for the Mac, it would not have
flopped at all.  We certainly needed it.

Our eventual solution was to translate the whole thing into C, so that it
would be portable across machines.  That's how the Pascal to C translator
I just posted about learned Turbo Pascal...

--
Dave Gillespie
  256-80 Caltech Pasadena CA USA 91125