[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo Pascal 5.0

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (11/14/88)

I've just heard that there is a Turbo Pascal Professional.
Is this different from Turbo Pascal 5.0 or are they the same thing?

Does this new Turbo Pascal Professional come with the Debugger?
Is this Debugger the same as Borland's Turbo Assemble/Debugger package?

A Turbo Pascal user who plans to upgrade but is a bit confused.
Thanks.

-- J. Chin (a.k.a. Computer Dr.)
------------------------- Carnegie Mellon University -------------------------
4730 Centre Avenue, Apt. #412       ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh, Pennslyvania 15213      BITnet:  jc58@andrew.BITNET
(412) 268-8936                      UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (11/14/88)

From article <17504@adm.BRL.MIL>, by jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin):

> I've just heard that there is a Turbo Pascal Professional.
> Is this different from Turbo Pascal 5.0 or are they the same thing?
>
> Does this new Turbo Pascal Professional come with the Debugger?
> Is this Debugger the same as Borland's Turbo Assemble/Debugger package?

The Borland "Professional" packages contain the language of your choice
(two choices, actually: C or Pascal), and the Turbo Assembler/Debugger.

The Turbo Pascal 5.0/Turbo C 2.0 in the professional package is the same
as you'd buy separately, it's just that it costs less to buy the two as
one package.

Note: When you upgrade, at least with Turbo C, it is my understanding that
your TC 1.5 Addendum is replaced with a TC 2.0 Addendum; you don't get the
new manuals.  If you upgrade to the Professional package, however, you get
everything brand-spankin' new.

-dg-

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet          uucp: {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave
Matrix:   Dave Goldblatt @ 1:260/360 ICBM: 075W 044N

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (11/14/88)

In article <17504@adm.BRL.MIL> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:

>I've just heard that there is a Turbo Pascal Professional.
>Is this different from Turbo Pascal 5.0 or are they the same thing?
>
>Does this new Turbo Pascal Professional come with the Debugger?
>Is this Debugger the same as Borland's Turbo Assemble/Debugger package?

Turbo Pascal 5.0 comes with the Integrated Development Environment,
which has an embedded debugger. Turbo Pascal 5.0 Professional includes
Turbo Assembler and Turbo Debugger, which is a stand-alone debugger
that can be used with Pascal, C, or assembler.

The same deal works for Turbo C 2.0 and Turbo C 2.0 Professional
(which is what I upgraded to).

	Sean Malloy
	Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc.arpa

swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) (11/15/88)

In article <1671@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) writes:
>The Borland "Professional" packages contain the language of your choice
>(two choices, actually: C or Pascal), and the Turbo Assembler/Debugger.
>
>The Turbo Pascal 5.0/Turbo C 2.0 in the professional package is the same
>as you'd buy separately, it's just that it costs less to buy the two as
>one package.

You forgot to mention that TP5.0 and TC2.0 both come with *integrated*
debuggers in the integrated environments.  This is built in, so you will
get it even if you don't get the "Professional."  The Professional package
includes a stand-along debugger which is more advanced than the integrated
debuggers.  (And, of course, it includes the assembler.)

>Note: When you upgrade, at least with Turbo C, it is my understanding that
>your TC 1.5 Addendum is replaced with a TC 2.0 Addendum; you don't get the
>new manuals.  If you upgrade to the Professional package, however, you get
>everything brand-spankin' new.

Yes, this seems to be true.

Frank Swarbrick (and, yes, the net.cat)       University Of Colorado, Boulder
swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU          ...!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!tramp!swarbric
"You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say." --Metallica

asickels@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alan Sickels) (01/13/89)

In article <497@westfort.UUCP> westfort!dragon@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:

>        I recently recieved Turbo Pascal 5.0, and was installing windows into
>one of my programs, when I noticed that the Draw command doesn't seem to work
>as documented..  I loaded the uses graph3 command in proper order, and then
>did thus:
>draw(1,1,25,25,blue);  The Compiler took it to be in proper context, yet when

[stuff deleted]

First, your concept of the Window procedure is not correct.  If you look at
the definition on p. 141 of the reference guide it says the Window "Defines
a text window on the screen."  Graphics aren't bound by it.
  ^^^^
Also be sure your program didn't drop you out of graphics mode on accident.

Second, stay away from the Graph3 unit.  The Borland Graphics Interface
(defined in the Graph unit) is MUCH more powerful and useful.  Take some
time and learn it.  It's worth your while.  It includes procedures for
setting view ports (graphics windows) which is what you want.  It also
detects what graphics card you have and loads an appropriate graphics driver
for the card.

Hope this helps.

"C:DOS - C:DOS:RUN - RUN:DOS:RUN - RUN:RUN:RUN"

Alan Sickels

dragon@westfort.UUCP (The Mystic) (01/31/89)

        I recently recieved Turbo Pascal 5.0, and was installing windows into
one of my programs, when I noticed that the Draw command doesn't seem to work
as documented..  I loaded the uses graph3 command in proper order, and then
did thus:
draw(1,1,25,25,blue);  The Compiler took it to be in proper context, yet when
I ran it (both before and after the window was loaded, as I the manual claims
that only the area in the window may be written to ( w/ my experiance with
compilers of all sorts, I had my doubts - thus the wasted effort ))
and no lines were forth comming....    Perchance I'm missing something?

                        Jason

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (12/07/89)

Wed 6-Dec-89: Updated the programmers' Turbo Pascal 5.0 (and 4.0)
units collection to be version /pc/ts/tspas17.  The new procedures
include WHEREXFN and WHEREYFN which locate the cursor position
without the Crt unit.  As you will recall Crt unit includes a WhereX
and a WhereY function.  The reason I have prepared alternatives to
Crt functions and procedures in this, and the earlier releases, is
because with some incompatible PCs the Crt unit causes problems, and
redirection requires special measures with the Crt.  - KEYPREFN is a
replacement of KeyPressed and READKEFN for ReadKey.  - CLUSIZFN
gives the cluster size on a device.  ALLSIZFN gives the true total
size allocated to a file instead of the size shown on ordinary
directory listings.  - INKEYFN is a Basic-like timed input.
Tspas17.arc is available by anonymous ftp as usual.
   Let me repeat a wish for those of you who may have found my
programs or units useful.  As I am not asking for any registration
fees for the PD versions, would you do me a reciprocal favor by
uploading at least some of my packages to, say eg one local bulletin
board (BBS), and thus contribute to disseminating the *latest*
versions of these packages.  And, if you distribute these packages,
would you PLEASE distribute an entire package, not individual
programs from within any package.  This is a request that all of us
share who write PD programs.
Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

Summary of the Functions and procedures in the TSPAS Package
Functions are indicated by the ending FN, the procedures by the lack of it.
TSUNTA:
  PANMR    Scroll screen right
  PANML    Scroll screen left
  WIDTHFN  Current width of text screen
  ATTRIBFN Color attribute for direct write to video memory
  VIDXY    Direct write to the screen video memory
  VDCHXY   Direct read from the screen video memory
  VDAEXYFN Direct read of a screen video memory color attribute
TSUNTB:
  TIMERFN  Time elapsed since midnight
  POWERFN  Conventional raising of a positive number to a power
  POWERGFN Generalized raising of any real to a power
  POWERLFN Raise longint to a non-negative integer power
  TWOTOFN  Two to a power, fast
  R16TOFN  Sixteen to a power, fast
  BITONFN  Status of a bit in a word
  CONVBFN  Convert from a number of any base to any other base
  BINDECFN Convert binary to decimal, fast
  DECBINFN Convert decimal to binary, fast (outdated by BINFN)
  BINFN    Convert decimal to binary, very fast
  LBINFN   Convert longint to binary, fast
  HEXDECFN Convert hexadecimal to decimal, fast
  DECHEXFN Convert decimal to hexadecimal, fast (outdated by HEXFN)
  HEXFN    Convert decimal to hexadecimal, very fast
  LHEXFN   Convert longint to hexadecimal, fast
TSUNTC:
  PLAYNOTE Play a note
  PRTONLFN Get the online status of a printer
  DSKCNTFN Get the number of disk devices (MsDos 3+ only)
  REVCOLOR Reverse text colors (a toggle)
TSUNTD:
  TRIMRGFN Trim a string right
  TRIMLFFN Trim a string left
  LEADFN   Lead a string with a multiple character (i.e. pad left)
  TRAILFN  Trail a string with a multiple character (i.e. pad right)
  DOSDELAY Delay without using the Crt unit
  PARSE    Extract all substrings from a string
  STRCNTFN Number of substrings in a string (resembles ParamCount)
  SPARTFN  Returns a specified substring (resembles ParamStr)
TSUNTE:
  CURSOFF  Turn off cursor (keeps other cursor attributes)
  CURSON   Turn cursor back on as it was
  CURSOR   Change cursor size
  BORDER   Change border color (CGA, VGA)
  CLB      Clear the keyboard buffer
  MONOFN   Is it a monochrome
  CAPSONFN CapsLock status
  NUMLONFN NumLock status
  FEXISTFN File existence status, handles ReadOnly files correctly
  FSIZEFN  File size in bytes as in directory
  CLUSIZFN Cluster size on a device (cluster is the allocation unit)
  ALLSIZFN Allocated true size of a file in bytes
  CMDLNFN  Returns the entire command line
  WKDAYFN  Returns modern weekday
  WEEKNRFN Returns the week number for a given date
TSUNTF:
  EDRDLN   Readln with line-editing potential
  EDREADLN Readln with line-editing, recall, and insert toggle
TSUNTG:
  DRIVESFN Number of diskette drives on the system
  FDRIVEFN The name of the first diskette drive on the system
  INDRIVFN Is a media present in the given drive
  GOATXY   As the ordinary GoToXY but no Crt unit required
  WHEREXFN As the ordinary WhereX but no Crt unit required
  WHEREYFN As the ordinary WhereY but no Crt unit required
  KEYPREFN As the ordinary KeyPressed but no Crt unit required
  READKEFN As the ordinary ReadKey but no Crt unit required
  INKEYFN  Basic-like timed character input
  REVAREA  Reverse the colors of an area
  USEPRN   Redirect write and writeln to the printer
  USECON   Restore write and writeln direction to the screen