[comp.lang.pascal] Extended Pascal Standard Question

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (12/06/89)

What is the status of control variables in the upcoming Extended
Pascal Standard? Presently, threats to the control variable of a
for construct are not allowed, but Modula-2 doesn't have this
property. I have not yet been able to get a copy of the extended
standard proposal.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (12/07/89)

In article <577@tauceti.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>What is the status of control variables in the upcoming Extended
>Pascal Standard? Presently, threats to the control variable of a
>for construct are not allowed, but Modula-2 doesn't have this
>property. I have not yet been able to get a copy of the extended
>standard proposal.

The latest draft (1989-08-18) maintains the old position.
From subsection 6.9.3.9.1:
"Neither a for-statement nor any procedure-and-function-declaration-part
_of_ the block that _closest-contains_ a for-statement shall _contain_
a statement threatening (see 6.9.4) a variable-access denoting the variable
denoted by the control-variable _of_ the for-statement."

That was true standardese, perhaps a little difficult to understand
out of context. I highlighted by underscores those words appearing
in boldface in the original, which means they are used in a very
exactly defined technical meaning.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland