[comp.lang.pascal] TP Toolboxes

kb36+@andrew.cmu.edu (Keith Douglas Beiter) (12/08/89)

Hello again Netties!

Weeeellllllllll, I was wondering if anyone out there has any opinions on the Database and Graphics toolboxes that Borland sells.  I'm trying to find out what they can do and if they are worth buying.

Program ClosingRemarks (Input,Output);
Type
    HelpType = (Appreciated,Welcomed,Wanted,Accepted);
    NameType = (Keith,Kevin,Kenneth,Kenton);
Var
    Help : HelpType;
    ThankYou : Boolean;
    Signed : NameType;
Begin
    Help := Appreciated;
    ThankYou := True;
    Signed := Kevin
End.

raj@pic.ucla.edu (Shiladitya Raj Chaudhury) (12/08/89)

Regarding Kevin's question about Borland Turbo toolboxes:

When I wrote a graphics application under Turbo Pascal 3.0 the
Graphix Toolbox was a great help in defining windows and what not.

With the arrival of the Graph Unit of TP 4.0/5.x, pretty much
everything we needed to do in writing an on-line real time data
acquisition system (at least the user interface part) was taken
care of - our version 4.0 Graphix Toolbox gathers dust to this day.

This is my limited, but first hand experience with the subject.

--Raj Chaudhury
UCLA

granoff@decwin.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) (12/08/89)

I have all the Borland Toolboxes.  I am writing an application now,
which uses and will use
(application isn't done yet :-) the Database Toolbox.  In case you don't
know, it provides routines
for managing a database (both high and low level routines) with keys.
It also includes routines
for quick sorting that work quite nicely (in my opinion).

What would be nice is if the same toolboxes existed for Turbo C (from
Borland); I think I'd rather
be writing my application in C than Pascal, but, cest la vie!

In general, I think the Database toolbox is a good hunk of code.

(I have all the toolboxes because I bought TP Pro; I saved money, but
have no use for most of
the toolboxes, e.g. numerical methods, game works, tutor...)

Mark H. Granoff               | Software Services/Engineering VAXworks
Digital Equipment Corporation | ARPAnet: granoff@vaxwrk.dec.com
129 Parker Street             | EASYnet: VAXWRK::GRANOFF
PKO2-1/M21                    | Usenet : ...!decwrl!vaxwrk!granoff
Maynard, MA 01754             | AT&T   : (508) 493-4512/(603) 881-2389
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
            reflect those of my employer.

ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (12/09/89)

In article <21684@adm.BRL.MIL> raj@pic.ucla.edu (Shiladitya Raj Chaudhury) writes:
>With the arrival of the Graph Unit of TP 4.0/5.x, pretty much
>everything we needed to do in writing an on-line real time data
>acquisition system (at least the user interface part) was taken
>care of - our version 4.0 Graphix Toolbox gathers dust to this day.

While i agree that the graph unit takes care of a great part of
Toolbox functions, especially in terms of being a device independent
low-level kernel, I still think the world-coordinate based windowing
of the Toolbox is something to drool over.  I'd like to write the
low-level stuff in the Toolbox using graph.tpu and then use the
Toolbox like one always did.  This way, one even gets runtime
flexibility w.r.t. graphix card.

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

In article <6729@shlump.nac.dec.com> granoff@decwin.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) writes:
>In general, I think the Database toolbox is a good hunk of code.

I know of a 100% commercial application of about 35k lines of Pascal
which worked perfectly fine with Database Toolbox.  It was a
relational schema, too.

Interesting: the main reason the authors chose Database Toolbox with
TP4 over competition was speed!