[comp.lang.pascal] New TP 5.5 user

C0361%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu (Thomas Jenkins) (01/11/90)

I'm a new member to the info-pascal list (relatively).

In addition, I'm a new TP 5.5 user.  That is not to say a new TP user.
I've used both TP 2.0 & 3.01A for about 4 years.  I was introduced to
both PASCAL and TP in college while taking Computer Science.  Now, years
later I'm trying to get back to PASCAL programming.  I purchased TP 5.5 because
of the changes it offered. (Really it seems to dwarf my poor 3.xx version).

My question of the list is this:

 >I'm versed in PASCAL (very) but know little of the chages made since 3.xx.
 >  What books (besides the ref manual) are GOOD at bringing users to date?
 >  I have Mastering TP 5.5 by Swan.  Any reviews?
 >I've also received TASM 1.01 in the package.  I'm impressed with the ASM ,
 >but it's the same situation:  I need good ref books to suppliment the
 > "failings" of the Borland manuals (or me?).  They seem unclear on
 >many topics.

 - Thanks for the help in advance,
      -Thomas Jenkins, Programmer, Univ of South Carolina

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/13/90)

In article <22032@adm.BRL.MIL> C0361%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu (Thomas Jenkins) writes:
> >but it's the same situation:  I need good ref books to suppliment the
> > "failings" of the Borland manuals (or me?).  They seem unclear on
> >many topics.

I'm no expert on Pascal, but I find Tom Swan's "Mastering TP 5.5" (publ.
by Hayden) one of the most well-written and useful computer books I've
seen.  I do most of my programming by copying Swan's code!

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2