[comp.lang.pascal] Freeware Pascal Compiler for DOS wanted.

M.Jones@massey.ac.nz (02/05/90)

I am after a freeware Pascal compiler to be used for educational purposes on
IBM PC's and compatibles. I intend to integrate it into an environment that
I already have so the features I am after are -

1. Not a memory hog! - preferably uses less than 250KB.

2. Invocation from DOS and compile-time errors messages directed to the
   standard output. It doesn't have to detect all compile errors - only
   the first one.

3. Good run-time error message reporting.

4. Public Domain, preferably with source code.

As it is only intended to use it for teaching very basic programming, it
is okay if it doesn't support all of the standard Pascal features.
--
Michael Jones
Phone:  +64 63 69099

aubrey@rpp386.cactus.org (Aubrey McIntosh) (02/07/90)

In article
<1990Feb5.002030.13485@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> M.Jones@massey.ac.nz writes:

>I am after a freeware Pascal compiler to be used for educational purposes on
>IBM PC's and compatibles. I intend to integrate it into an environment that
>I already have so the features I am after are -

One thing you might want to look at actually doesn't fit most of the
criteria that you named...

The Fitted Software Tools Modula-2 compiler has an integrated environment,
but can be used from command lines as well.  An option exists to produce
.OBJ files, and I have successfully linked them with the MS-DOS linker,
as well as the Logitech linker.

Also, when the linker options were set up correctly, I was able to produce
the necessary support to do symbolic debugging with Symdeb, Microsoft's
intermediate debugging product.

This is Shareware, $39 (US), and Source code for the library and
runtime exists.  There is a minor tee-hee with the source, in that it uses
the in-line assembly option at least once in most modules, and renders
itself non-portable.

The compiler, editor, make utilities, etc., are not available in source.

I was experienced with several other Modula-2 and Pascal compilers when
I picked up the FST product, and I think it fits the student/educational
niche very well.

The address for FST is:  Fitted Software Tools / POB 867403 / Plano, TX 75086
--
Aubrey McIntosh
Austin, TX 78723