[comp.lang.pascal] TP 5.0 EGA Mode?

marxb@yvax.byu.edu (02/07/90)

        I have recently written a program on my PC at home that has some
graphics in it.  They look nice on my EGA machine at home but when the program
is used on the target PC, the graphics are different because it uses VGA.  My
question to the Net gurus is how to initialize the VGA computer to run my pro-
gram in EGA mode so I don't have to do a lot of code modification.  I understand
that it can be done but I am not sure how to do it based on the information
provided in the manuals.  I know it may seem silly to only want EGA graphics
but that is all I have and for the application is sufficient.  I would greatly
appreciate any help on this.  Thanks in advance.

Brad Marx       marxb@byuvax
                bradm@byuvax

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/07/90)

In article <1085marxb@yvax.byu.edu> marxb@yvax.byu.edu writes:

>        I have recently written a program on my PC at home that has some
>graphics in it.  They look nice on my EGA machine at home but when the program
>is used on the target PC, the graphics are different because it uses VGA.  My
>question to the Net gurus is how to initialize the VGA computer to run my pro-
>gram in EGA mode so I don't have to do a lot of code modification.  I understand

If you look at it closely, you will notice that the BGI driver is
the same for both EGA and VGA.  The difference comes when you set
your graphips with InitGraph (or whatever it was; manual not at
hand).  There you can select EGA and among its modes.  See the
appropriate keyword in the manual.  I can assure you that it works,
since I have written programs which have to deal with this.  No
special steps (except the normal graphics initialization) is
necessary.  If you init for EGA the VGA system will emulate EGA.
But do not use the detect option, because then it will emulate VGA!

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

roberts@wrangell.scl.cwru.edu (Brian Roberts) (02/07/90)

In article <1085marxb@yvax.byu.edu> marxb@yvax.byu.edu writes:

>        I have recently written a program on my PC at home that has some
>graphics in it.  They look nice on my EGA machine at home but when the program
>is used on the target PC, the graphics are different because it uses VGA.  My
>question to the Net gurus is how to initialize the VGA computer to run my pro-
>gram in EGA mode so I don't have to do a lot of code modification.  I understand
>that it can be done but I am not sure how to do it based on the information
>provided in the manuals.  I know it may seem silly to only want EGA graphics
>but that is all I have and for the application is sufficient.  I would greatly
>appreciate any help on this.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Brad Marx       marxb@byuvax
>                bradm@byuvax

I assume you used:  InitGraph ( GrDriver, GrMode, '<path>' );
( Declare GrDriver and GrMode to be of type INTEGER )

Insert the following two lines before InitGraph:

   GrDriver := <driver>;
   GrMode   := <mode>;

<driver> and <mode> can be found on the table below:

<driver>    <mode>     resolution     colors       pages
EGA         EGALo      640 x 200      1 - 16         4
            EGAHi      642 x 350      1 - 16         2
EGA64       EGA64Lo    640 x 200      1 - 16         1
            EGA64Hi    640 x 350      1 - 4          1
            EGAMonoHi  642 x 350                     1 on 64K card
                                                     2 on 256K card

You can also press CTRL-F1 when the cursor is on InitGraph for more help.

Brian