[comp.lang.pascal] Pascal Book Suggestion Wanted.

bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (William J. King) (02/13/90)

Pascal fans:

Could I have some suggestions for books to learn Pascal from.
(Experienced programmer in numerous other languages, and some 'C'.
 is it ok to use the C word in this news group? ;-) )
I'll be learning/ coding from Vax/Vms machines. Perhaps some from
Turbo Pascal as well.
Thanx in advance.
Bill
            W. James King   (bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu) "Keep hope alive,
         Computing Center   (bill@uhccux.bitnet)           Keep hope alive,
     University of Hawaii   (bill/p/hawaii)                Keep hope alive!"
Honolulu, Oahu, HI, 96822   21.3 LAT by 157.9 LONG          Jesse Jackson.

bigelow@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jim Bigelow) (02/14/90)

> Could I have some suggestions for books to learn Pascal from.

My personal favorite is:
  "Programming in PASCAL" by Grogono, Addison-Wesley Pub.

Good books using or about Pascal:
  "Alogorithm + Data Structures = Program", N. Wirth
  "Software Tools in Pascal", Kernighan & Plauguer -- really great if you want
	to be able to *use* for a varity of things, such as have some of the
        flexibiity of C.
  "Standard PASCAL, User Reference Manual", D. Cooper, Norton Pub.

Cheers,

Jim Bigelow
S300 Pascal
Colorado Language Lab.
HP

edsall@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (David M. Edsall) (02/16/90)

In article <6568@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (William J. King) writes:

>Pascal fans:
>
>Could I have some suggestions for books to learn Pascal from.

      The books I learned from and found quite useful were

       Oh! Pascal!

           and

       Cooper's Condensed Pascal

         both by Doug Cooper. The second is actually a condensed version of
       the first as the title suggests.

   - dave