[comp.lang.pascal] E-mail only I don't read this news group

richard@gara.une.oz.au (Richard Mackerras CCEN) (04/08/90)

In article <27554@ut-emx.UUCP>, mjensen@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Marc S. Jensen) writes:
> Any help or assistance would be appreciated. (E-mail only, please. I don't
> usually read this newsgroup.)

	This is a pain in the neck.  I gleen much information through reading
this and other news groups.  If people reply to queries directly by mail I,
and many others miss out on the information.  Let's keep shareing information.

Now I'll get back down off my hobby horse and finish reading the news.

	Thanks.

	Richard Mackerras
	richard@gara.une.oz.au
	University of New England
	Armidale.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (04/09/90)

In article <1459@gara.une.oz.au> richard@gara.une.oz.au (Richard Mackerras CCEN) writes:
>In article <27554@ut-emx.UUCP>, mjensen@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Marc S. Jensen) writes:
>> Any help or assistance would be appreciated. (E-mail only, please. I don't
>> usually read this newsgroup.)
>
>	This is a pain in the neck.  I gleen much information through reading
>this and other news groups.  If people reply to queries directly by mail I,
>and many others miss out on the information.  Let's keep shareing information.

I'LL SECOND TO THIS.  If someone is not interested enough in his/her
own question to read and fowllow-up the group, why should we really
oblige.  It is a denigrating attitude.  Of course there are
instances where replying by E-mail is warranted, but NOT because the
sender of the question doesn't even want to bother reading the
group.  I must admit that this has annoyed me on several occasions,
and should not be considred directed against this sender, or this
group, in particular.  - Ok, I'll say no more, since this is
comp.lang.pascal, not alt.flame.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

reeves@dvinci.usask.ca (Malcolm Reeves) (04/11/90)

>>> Any help or assistance would be appreciated. (E-mail only, please. I don't
>>> usually read this newsgroup.)

>>	This is a pain in the neck.  I gleen much information through reading
>>this and other news groups.  If people reply to queries directly by mail I,
>>and many others miss out on the information.  Let's keep shareing information.

> I'LL SECOND TO THIS.  If someone is not interested enough in his/her
> own question to read and fowllow-up the group, why should we really
> oblige.  It is a denigrating attitude.  Of course there are
> instances where replying by E-mail is warranted, but NOT because the
> sender of the question doesn't even want to bother reading the
> group.  I must admit that this has annoyed me on several occasions,
> and should not be considred directed against this sender, or this
> group, in particular.  - Ok, I'll say no more, since this is
> comp.lang.pascal, not alt.flame.

I have usually replied to questions by Email to avoid cluttering news groups
with very specific or repetitive replies. I hadn't really considered the
value to the "browser" - since I glean much information this way myself perhaps
I should post more? Maybe the moderator should advise us? comp.lang.pascal is
not too busy so perhaps there is less harm in posting the same stuff over
again - but let's not take things to extremes. I read about 200 messages a day
(various newsgroups) and about 50% should not (in my opinion) have been posted.