[comp.lang.pascal] TP database toolbox with dBase capabilities needed

maine@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Richard Maine) (05/16/90)

On 15 May 90 15:43:08 GMT, mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) said:

> (Hartoma Petri Juhani) writes:
>
>Does anybody know any database toolbox for Turbo Pascal (4.0-5.5) that
>could handle dBASE III+ or/and dBASE IV database and index files? I
>have used Borland's Database Toolbox but it is not capable of handling
>dBASE files without hacking the included source code.

Mike> Someone on Compuserve asked the same question, and the general
Mike> preference was for TurboPower (sp?) Filer.  Unlike most of the
Mike> Turbo P units available, this one handles read/write to indexes
Mike> and memo fields.  I don't recall the specifics but it seems that the
Mike> package was very reasonable.

Yes, TurboPower's B-Tree Filer is very reasonable (about $125 for the
single-user version, as I recall).  I think it's a good product (hey,
I gave em my money for it) and the support on Compuserve is simply
unrivalled.  Leave a question on their Compuserve support area and you
can expect a well thought out reply (not a form response) from one of
the actual developers, or even the president of the company
(obviously, they are somewhat smaller than MacroSoft) within a few
hours, sometimes even on weekends.  The replies often include coding
suggestions or even samples. Support doesn't come any better.  It's
also refreshing that the product includes source code for everything.

But having baited you with these praises, I've got to warn you that
it does not handle DBASE index files, which is what you were asking
for.  I think it may be possible to use DBASE data files (I won't swear
by it, but I think so), but it for sure can't use the index files.
Sorry to disapoint you.
--

Richard Maine
maine@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov [130.134.64.6]