[comp.lang.pascal] Where to get PAX?

juh@cs.hut.fi (Juha Hyv|nen) (05/25/90)

In article <3822@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> eldred@de_csi.jpl.nasa.gov (Dan
Eldred) writes:
+------------------------
!  In article <23415@adm.BRL.MIL> BBASKETT%RRMC@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
!  ....
!  >'pax' (a supposedly freely distributable pascal compiler). I tried
!  >ftping santra.hut.fi where it is supposed to reside, but alas, we have
!
!  I too was interested in a free pascal compiler and I saw the reference
!  to pax somewhere.  I successfully downloaded it but, alas, it was a
!  file compression program, not a pascal compiler.  I also have heard
!  rumors that GNU was working on a pascal compiler but I am not aware of
!  one existing yet.
+........................

The ftp server(s) here seem to have pax the file compression program
available instead of pax the compiler. I could not find the compiler
sources (-- yet, but I am working on it...). I will let you know
when/if I find them.

	   / (.__o		..
	  /_/ __/	Juha Hyvonen
	! /  !
	!/ ) !		juh@cs.hut.fi
	 ------

Included are some extracts of the pax (compiler) man pages:

PAX(1)              UNIX Programmer's Manual               PAX(1)

NAME
     pax - Pascal compiler

SYNOPSIS
     pax [ options ] name [ name ... ]

DESCRIPTION
     Pax is an ISO 7185 level 1 compatible Pascal compiler writ-
     ten at Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre,
     Finland.

	[... a few pages deleted ...]

THE HISTORY OF PAX
     Pax was written at Helsinki University of Technology Comput-
     ing Centre (TeKoLa). It was first running in DECSYSTEM-20
     around '81.  Currently the best implementation is in DEC-20
     Tops-20 Rel-V or higher. The VAX 4.2 BSD port was done at
     the end of '85. Pax also works in 4.3 BSD and Ultrix.

     With some work it should be possible to update the (old) VMS
     Pax translator and run time system to work again.  We also
     have a NS32000 translator which is untested (we don't have
     any machines to test it on!). A port for the Altos 3068
     (68020 with SYS-V) is nearly finished.  When this works, the
     SUN-3 port is easy to do.

     The run time system is written in C for UN*X machines and in
     Macro-20 for DEC-20.

AVAILABILITY
     Pax is a FreeWare program copyrighted by Helsinki University
     of Technology Computing Centre. We permit you to use, modify
     and redistribute the system as long as you follow the rules
     stated in a separate file named COPYING distributed with
     Pax. Among other things, you are not allowed to remove or
     change the copyright notices from any files distributed with
     the Pax system.

	[... rest deleted ...]

--------

cogan@eng.umd.edu (Richard Cogan) (05/26/90)

In article <3822@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> eldred@de_csi.jpl.nasa.gov (Dan Eldred) writes:
>file compression program, not a pascal compiler.  I also have heard rumors that
>GNU was working on a pascal compiler but I am not aware of one existing yet.

GNU was working on a pascal compiler. We got a copy in November '89 so they
may have enhanced it quit a bit by now. It was a early version like 0.5 or
something like that. It did not allow nested procedures and it had a slight
problem with sets. These problems may be fixed by now.

We got it off of santra.hut.fi however last time I looked it was not there
and I do not know where or if it was relocated.

Rich Cogan
CALCE Center University of Maryland