[comp.lang.pascal] pascal formatter

gec@cscraz.ncsu.edu (Errol Casey) (06/08/90)

I'm interested in finding a C or Pascal program that formats a Pascal
program in to a "pretty"
format.  This program would be used by students to help keep code
listings readable.

Please email any information to gec@cscosl.ncsu.edu.  I will collect the
summary if there is enough interest.

Thanks.

Errol Casey
gec@cscosl.ncsu.edu
NCSU Computer Science Department

rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) (06/12/90)

Why don't they "pretty" their code as they write it?  Just
give 'em a model and have 'em follow it...

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun8.005218.1157@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> gec@cscraz.ncsu.edu (Errol Casey) writes:
>I'm interested in finding a C or Pascal program that formats a Pascal
>program in to a "pretty"
>format.  This program would be used by students to help keep code
>listings readable.

You can find at least one such utility (prinprn.zip) in the /pc/pd2
directory at chyde.uwasa.fi by anonymous ftp.  There are also
commercial formatters, but I gather that you are looking for PD.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (06/16/90)

I have a shareware "pretty printer" (Pascal source formatter) written several
years ago for Turbo Pascal version 3.  I have used it many times, and like it
for what it does.  Primarily I use it so that all Pascal reserved words are
in CAPS, Turbo Pascal enhancements are in UpperLower format, and any other
words are in lowercase.  (Of course, it ignores anything within quotes or
comments.)  This text formatting can be changed (such as my commands in all
CAPS and Standard Pascal in UpperLower format, with Turbo Pascal extensions
in lowercase.  It also adds spaces to make the text more readable:

    writeln(str(x*sin(25+something)-first));

becomes

    WRITELN (x * SIN (25 + something) - first);

which makes things far more readable for most people.  The only thing I
wish it had (and one day I will take the time to put it in) is something
to fix up indentation.