[comp.lang.pascal] Unit Examples

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (06/10/90)

Well, I have gotten some mail asking for help using the units I posted and
made available via ftp (duke.gatech.edu /pub/attlab/pascal.units).  I will
be working on a Doc file after final exams are finished (I'll start about
the 20th of June) and I return home and start working again.
Unfortunately, very few of the programs I have written for use with the text
graphics libraries can be distributed.  Most contain proprietary code often
device specific code (ie Pascal interface to ISI WORM disk) that is not for
release.  I do however have a text font designer that runs under my graphics
libraries that I can release, as well as several demo programs that make use
of the "multiprogramming" of GWin.  I will post those as soon as I am able.
Perhaps even make them available from the ftp site.
Until then...

ciao
jeff

ps any news on a Turbo Pascal for Windows 3.0?!?!  I wanna write windows apps
but noone wants to tell me how!  Damn frustrating.  I wish those pricks at
*Macro*soft weren't so secretive.  There would be a helluva lot of good apps
if hackers could play with the things...

--
Jeff Watkins  gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
"All opinions are mine... so don't even think of keeping some to yourself!"

shurr@cbnews.att.com (Larry A. Shurr) (06/13/90)

In article <10303@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) writes:
>ps any news on a Turbo Pascal for Windows 3.0?!?!  I wanna write windows apps
>but noone wants to tell me how!  Damn frustrating.  I wish those pricks at
>*Macro*soft weren't so secretive.  There would be a helluva lot of good apps
>if hackers could play with the things...

According to a note posted in the newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer
by David Intersimone (davidi@well.sf.ca.us), whose signature says that
he is the Director of Developer Relations, Borland will support both
Windows and OS/2 in future product releases.  The note was posted in
response to a query regarding Windows and OS/2 support in the recently
released Turbo C++ product (HOLD IT!  Put those rocks, tomatoes, and
flame throwers down or I'll enter the MRR (Massive Retaliatory Response)
command on my VAX 8840! :-), I know that this is the Pascal newsgroup,
but we're all grownups here, aren't we?... well aren't we?).

Although the note was written in response to a C++ query, I do not
interpret the response to imply that only C++ will support Windows and
OS/2.

On your other issue, while I will not defend the... uhhh... folks...,
yeh, folks at MicroSoft from the charge of secretiveness, I think that
the root cause of your complaint may be more akin to greed and lack of
responsiveness to the market.  I.e., charging high prices for Windows
software development kits in an effort to make the kits pay their way
instead of simply supplying Windows support in their language products
and publishing Windows programming information in order to encourage
Windows development and thereby encourage Windows sales.  If I'm right,
the situation is akin to Texas Instruments' ill-fated development
requirements for the old 99/4 home computer: you couldn't use the 99/4
for development at all (some would say simply that the 99/4 was useless),
you were expected to buy a TI 990 minicomputer on which to run the
development tools!!!

Now we may be in a period of transition where the market now wants to
develop software for Windows (now that 3.0 is here) causing language
makers such as Borland to acquire the necessary information and make
the necessary changes in their products to support such efforts.  Hope-
fully, MicroSoft will wish to be more forthcoming on this matter, as
well. (Come on guys!  You wanna sell more packages or do you just want
to play "I've Got a Secret?").  At one time, Microsoft's licenses
required a royalty payment on each copy sold of any program developed
using a Microsoft language product (actually, any program which incor-
porated their runtime library support).  The market said "no" and
Microsoft went along... eventually.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
My psuedo-Burma Shave .signature has served me long and well and has been

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun12.181121.180@cbnews.att.com> shurr@cbnews.att.com (Larry A. Shurr) writes:
>In article <10303@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) writes:
>>ps any news on a Turbo Pascal for Windows 3.0?!?!  I wanna write windows apps
>>but noone wants to tell me how!  Damn frustrating.  I wish those pricks at
>>*Macro*soft weren't so secretive.  There would be a helluva lot of good apps
>>if hackers could play with the things...

>According to a note posted in the newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer
>by David Intersimone (davidi@well.sf.ca.us), whose signature says that
>he is the Director of Developer Relations, Borland will support both
>Windows and OS/2 in future product releases.  The note was posted in
>response to a query regarding Windows and OS/2 support in the recently
>released Turbo C++ product
	I talked to one of the phone support people and they said that the
	company was committed to offering all of its products for both
	Windows and OS/2.  He did not know when this would happen.  An
	advertisment in PC Magazine also said the same thing.  However,
	even when this happens you will still probably need the SDK.

>yeh, folks at MicroSoft from the charge of secretiveness, I think that
>the root cause of your complaint may be more akin to greed and lack of
>responsiveness to the market.  I.e., charging high prices for Windows
>software development kits in an effort to make the kits pay their way
>instead of simply supplying Windows support in their language products
>and publishing Windows programming information in order to encourage
>Windows development and thereby encourage Windows sales.

	I am not sure what secrets Microsoft has about Windows or OS/2
	code generation.  Most of what you need to know is printed in
	Charles Petzold's book _Programming for Windows_.  There are plenty
	of languages out there which support Windows (and OS/2) programming.
	A few of them are:
			Stony Brook Modula 2
			Topspeed Modula 2
			Zortech C++
			Objective-C (Stepstone?)
			Watcom C Compiler
			Lattice C Compiler
			C_Talk/Views
			Actor.
	These are just the ones I can name off the top of my head.  So if
	there is some secret, all of these guys know it.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (06/28/90)

Well, would you all please move this discussion to a new subject header, please.
I started all this with a juvenile (sp?) insult, had a short email discussion
with a microsoft guy, and now am biding my time until I can save some money or
someone comes up with a package better than Actor.

I am still working on the Documentation files for my units and will distribute
them as they become available.  I am using windows Write to compose them and
will post both the .wri and .txt files to attlab.gatech.edu when they are done.

So, if you feel the uncontrollable urge to argue about the merits/definitions
of hackers, please do so under a different heading.  Someone may have an actual
question about the units and as I have gotten into the habit of killing the
subject, I would never get to answer.  My time is VERY EXPENSIVE (long distance
from West Palm Beach to Atlanta) and I don't like wasting it reading postings
by people who disagree, especially over such a trivial subject as whether
a hacker is an expert programmer or a lousy programmer, or whether any given
hacker would prefer an assortment of dried fruits or a 1lb bag of Nachos.

ciao
jeff