[net.sf-lovers] song query

LRC.HJJH@UTEXAS-20.ARPA (02/12/84)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Name That Tune! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was cruising along the highway tonight and getting sleepy, so I
switched from the "easy listening" station to something pop and
contemporary.  A song came on, not too clearly, that must surely
have been one of the pop-songs-with-SF-relevance which were
discussed on SF-LOVERS a while back.  It seemed to have something to
do with spaceships, maybe the shuttle.  There was a 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
countdown (tho no blastoff type sound), with "floating" and maybe
"flying" in what was probably the chorus.  Can anyone identify this
for me?
-------

karl@dartvax.UUCP (Karl Berry) (02/15/84)

Perhaps David Bowie's first Major Tom song, which I forget the name of but
is the first song on his Changes One album?

DBarker@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA (02/16/84)

>From the all too brief description it sounds as tho' the song in
question could be David Bowie's "Space Oddity" which first appeared in
1969.

Lippard@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (02/16/84)

From:   "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

I believe the song you are referring to is "Major Tom" by Peter
Schilling.

okie@ihuxs.UUCP (B.K. Cobb) (02/16/84)

The present song about our hero, Major Tom, is a kind of tribute/
sequel to David Bowie's earlier (1974?) song "Space Oddity."  In it,
Major Tom also gets stuck up there, but he doesn't sound as happy
about it as the present Major does.

BKCobb
ihnp4!ihuxs!okie

andree@uokvax.UUCP (03/01/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1663600:uokvax:5400045:000:205
uokvax!andree    Feb 27 20:24:00 1984

Unless I'm badly mistaken, there's a thing floating around (I keep trying to
drown it, but just can't :-) called "Why Me" that could fit that description.
Unfortunately, I've forgotten who did it.

	<mike

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Allen England) (03/02/84)

+
 > Unless I'm badly mistaken, there's a thing floating around (I keep trying to
 > drown it, but just can't :-) called "Why Me" that could fit that description.
 > Unfortunately, I've forgotten who did it.

The song "Why Me" is done by the group Planet P.

Allen England at AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL
ihnp4!ihuxb!alle