[comp.lang.pascal] Mouse support for Turbo Pascal 5.5

EX0@psuvm.psu.edu (07/17/90)

I'm looking for a program that allows the use of a mouse with the Turbo Pascal
editor?  Does anyone have such a beast?  I've checked local bbs' and anything
I've tried either doesn't work or has a few necessary files missing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) (07/17/90)

In article <90197.213141EX0@psuvm.psu.edu>, EX0@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> I'm looking for a program that allows the use of a mouse with the
Turbo Pascal
> editor?  Does anyone have such a beast?  I've checked local bbs' and anything
> I've tried either doesn't work or has a few necessary files missing.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Don't take this as any more than an educated guess, but I'd say that the next
version of TURBO Pascal (something greater than 5.5) would have mouse support
in the IDE (Integrated Development Environment, a.k.a. the editor).  This seems
likely since Borland's latest compiler, TURBO C++ V1.0, has an IDE that
supports mice.

Again, this is mo more than A GUESS!  I don't want to start any rumors... ;-)
[I have no affiliation with Borland International other than as a satisfied
customer.]

Mark H. Granoff   |    Enterprise Integration Services/Engineering VAXworks
Digital Equipment Corporation | ARPAnet: granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com
129 Parker Street             | Usenet : ...!decwrl!vaxwrk.dec.com!granoff
PKO2-1/M21                    | AT&T   : +1 508 493 4512
Maynard, MA 01754             | FAX    : +1 508 493 2240
Opinions herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Digital.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (07/18/90)

In article <90197.213141EX0@psuvm.psu.edu> EX0@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a program that allows the use of a mouse with the Turbo Pascal
>editor?  Does anyone have such a beast?  I've checked local bbs' and anything
>I've tried either doesn't work or has a few necessary files missing.

It may be that for a proper mouse support you'll have to resort to
Quick Pascal, which should be fairly compatible with TP.  Another
solution is to use any stand-alone editor which has mouse support,
and make a macro that calls the TPC compiler.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

ganzer@cod.NOSC.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) (07/19/90)

In article <90197.213141EX0@psuvm.psu.edu> EX0@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a program that allows the use of a mouse with the Turbo Pascal
>editor?  Does anyone have such a beast?  I've checked local bbs' and anything
>I've tried either doesn't work or has a few necessary files missing.

Actually, I had a program I got off of Compuserve's Borland forum called
TPRAT that I used with TP 4.0. I remember seeing a version also for TP 5.0,
but haven't checked to see if there is a version for 5.5. The program gave
full access to the pull-down menus in the Integrated Environment, as well
as full editing functions (I remember it having a pop-up editing menu as
well).

--
Mark T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
UUCP: {bonnie,sdcsvax,gould9,hp-sdd} - !nosc!ganzer

kim@spock (Kim Letkeman) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul18.055406.17988@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
| In article <90197.213141EX0@psuvm.psu.edu> EX0@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
| >I'm looking for a program that allows the use of a mouse with the Turbo Pascal
| >editor?  Does anyone have such a beast?  I've checked local bbs' and anything
| >I've tried either doesn't work or has a few necessary files missing.
|
| It may be that for a proper mouse support you'll have to resort to
| Quick Pascal, which should be fairly compatible with TP.  Another
| solution is to use any stand-alone editor which has mouse support,
| and make a macro that calls the TPC compiler.

Although it isn't perfect, I use LOGIMENU (which came with my Logitech
mouse.) I'm sure that most of the "mousifying" languages work in the
same way.

These languages can help smooth the (extremely) rough edges of the
Wordstar descendant editor in TP.

--
Kim Letkeman    mitel!spock!kim@uunet.uu.net

eli@smectos.gang.umass.edu (Eli Brandt) (07/20/90)

program BugTest;
{
Demonstrates a bug in the integrated debugger in TP 5.5

   In the IDE, run the program to the marked line.  Then evaluate v1 or its
components.  Note the absurd results. (I got 1.8E-37, 4E-5, 5E-5 or some such)
This may be a result of the debugger's looking in the old stack context; I
don't know.  Also note that the values print out correctly; the fault is that
of the debugger.  The simplest way to work around this problem is to declare v1
as a var parameter, as indicated.  As the compiler treats the existing declar-
ation as a var parameter anyway, this makes no functional difference to the
program.
   Note: the same results (well, different nonsense) are obtained with
         Turbo Debugger 1.5

System:  IBM PS/2 50
         DOS 3.3
         Turbo Pascal v5.5 (file size 156321; date 5-2-89)
         No autoexec.bat; no config.sys

Eli Brandt 7/10/90
}

type
  vec3 = record
           x, y, z: real;
         end;

procedure ReceiveVec(v1: vec3);            { or "var v1: vec3" to fix       }
begin                                      { <-- run to this line      ***  }
  writeln(v1.x, ' ', v1.y, ' ', v1.z);
end;

procedure passvec;
var
  v: vec3;

begin
  v.x := 1;  v.y := 2;  v.z := 3;
  ReceiveVec(v);
end;

begin
  passvec;
end.

djohnson@ch3.intel.com (Don Johnson x2908 ms:c3-40 Pole: F7) (07/20/90)

I don't know whether you have a Logitech mouse or not, but it has
a program included which will let you build your own application
interface to Turbo Pascal.

 DJ

streich@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) (07/21/90)

In article <17165@dime.cs.umass.edu> eli@smectos.CS.UMASS.EDU (Eli Brandt) writes:
>program BugTest;
>{
>Demonstrates a bug in the integrated debugger in TP 5.5

[... stuff deleted ...]
>procedure ReceiveVec(v1: vec3);            { or "var v1: vec3" to fix       }
>begin                                      { <-- run to this line      ***  }
>  writeln(v1.x, ' ', v1.y, ' ', v1.z);
>end;

When you tell the debugger to run to that line, you are actually running to
a point that is not yet in the procedure (i.e., the stack frame has not been
correctly set yet).  If you step into the procedure one more line, you will
see the correct values because the frame pointer has been set correctly by
that time.

Let's not accuse a vendor of "bugs" without a little more thought, OK?

Mark Streich
streich@tigger.colorado.edu