[comp.lang.pascal] How to I contact Borland on CompuServe

rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Owen Baker) (08/14/90)

Can anyone tell me how I can contact Borland on Compuserve from the net?
Being in Australia it is a bit hard to get onto CompuServe and I have
been reading quite a few articles recently about mailing CompuServe users
from the net so I assume this is possible. Any info appreciated.

Owen Baker
Communication Services Unit, RMIT (Victoria University of Technology)
Melbourne, Australia

rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
odb@caxton.csu.rmit.oz.au

dmurdoch@watstat.uwaterloo.ca (Duncan Murdoch) (08/14/90)

I tried to mail this, but it bounced.  I hope it's of general interest.

In article <5392@minyos.xx.rmit.oz> rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Owen Baker) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how I can contact Borland on Compuserve from the net?
>Being in Australia it is a bit hard to get onto CompuServe and I have
>been reading quite a few articles recently about mailing CompuServe users
>from the net so I assume this is possible. Any info appreciated.

Borland has said it will _not_ provide tech support over Internet.  They
figure the public support they give on Compuserve is better value for their
time.

However, when I pointed out to them that they were going to miss out on
bug reports with this policy, they
relented a tiny bit:  they will read messages coming from Internet the
same as letters received by mail, and will reply by (paper) mail if
you give a good return address (and if they would have replied to a letter).

If you want to send something under these terms, make sure you state that
that's what you want:  otherwise you're likely to get a form letter saying
"we don't give support over Internet".

The address to send to is in my .mailrc file as

 alias borland 76703.764@compuserve.com

I hope this is some help.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) (08/15/90)

In article <5392@minyos.xx.rmit.oz> rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Owen Baker) writes:

>Can anyone tell me how I can contact Borland on Compuserve from the net?
>Being in Australia it is a bit hard to get onto CompuServe and I have
>been reading quite a few articles recently about mailing CompuServe users
>from the net so I assume this is possible. Any info appreciated.

  You need to find a local number to Compuserve from Australia (sorry, no
  help here).  Once connected, there are several Borland Groups you can
  access.  The two I am most familiar with are BPROGA and BPROGB.  These
  groups deal with the Borland programming languages Pascal,C,C++,and Prolog.
  To get there from the Compuserve main level prompt, type GO BPROGA or
  GO BPROGB.  You will want to subscribe to the Forum if you wish to download
  files.  The procedure is simple,straightforward, and connect time free.
  There are several sysops you can leave messages to if you need more detailed
  help on any subject matter relevant to the Forum.

  Bob Beauchaine
  Tektronix ICO
  Beaverton, OR.