[comp.lang.pascal] Writing ROMable code using Turbo Pascal

mevawall@girtab.usc.edu (Shehzad Mevawalla) (09/15/90)

Is it possible to write ROMable code using Turbo Pascal, Turbo C and Turbo
Assembler? That is how can I prevent DOS and BIOS system calls in the
executables?

I am currently working on a '286 board and would like to be able to use one of
the above packages to program it. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Shehzad Mevawalla                           University of Southern California
mevawall@castor.usc.edu                     WE ARE ... 'SC
(818) 788-4286

ftpam1@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (09/15/90)

In article <11972@chaph.usc.edu>, mevawall@girtab.usc.edu (Shehzad Mevawalla) writes...
>Is it possible to write ROMable code using Turbo Pascal, Turbo C and Turbo
>Assembler? That is how can I prevent DOS and BIOS system calls in the
>executables?

     It has been my (small) experience that C compilers have no OS dependance
built into the compiler.  If you rewrite the library modules, and especially
the run-time startup routine, you are set.  (I haven't tried Turbo C.)

     On the other hand, Turbo Pascal has OS calls liberally strewn throughout
the run-time support, and in fact generated by the compiler in-line, as well.
This makes it difficult to use Turbo Pascal on a "bare machine."

     One possibility which I have read about but not actually tried, is a
minimal DOS emulation package.  One such package costs $495 and includes
licenses for 5 or 10 units.  It can provide as much DOS emulation as you need
(from simple console I/O to files) and whatever you don't need you can trim off.
It's called ROM-DOS or something like that; if anybody is interested I can dig
through the literature pile and find the details.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

nkraft@crash.cts.com (Norman Kraft) (09/16/90)

In article <1990Sep15.054458.20518@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> ftpam1@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:
>In article <11972@chaph.usc.edu>, mevawall@girtab.usc.edu (Shehzad Mevawalla) writes...
>>Is it possible to write ROMable code using Turbo Pascal, Turbo C and Turbo
>>Assembler? That is how can I prevent DOS and BIOS system calls in the
>>executables?
>>

>Philip Munts N7AHL responds :
>     On the other hand, Turbo Pascal has OS calls liberally strewn throughout
>the run-time support, and in fact generated by the compiler in-line, as well.
>This makes it difficult to use Turbo Pascal on a "bare machine."

In reference to ROM'ing Turbo Pascal, I recently interviewed a programmer
who had done just that, even though Borland had claimed the task "impossible".
I saw some of the code, though not enough to know just how he did it (He
claimed that the code was proprietary to his previous employer). Anyway,
he did have a ROM'ed application, in Turbo Pascal, running on a "bare"
286 board. Just thought you might like to know it can be done!

Norman R. Kraft	                                "Things should be as
Director, Software Development                   simple as possible,
Postal Buddy Corp., San Diego, CA                but not simpler."
INET nkraft@crash.cts.com                          - Albert Einstein
UUCP {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!nkraft