[comp.lang.pascal] Pascal Source Code Beautifier Wanted

mdovi@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mark Dovi) (09/07/90)

  Does anyone out there know of a pascal source code beautifier?  I am
looking for something that works like the "cb" command but for pascal.

  Mark Dovi
  mark_dovi@hpda.cup.hp.com

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/08/90)

In article <7020008@hpcupt1.HP.COM> mdovi@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mark Dovi) writes:
>  Does anyone out there know of a pascal source code beautifier?  I am
>looking for something that works like the "cb" command but for pascal.

There is a /pc/pd2/pritprn.zip available by anonymous ftp from
chyde.uwasa.fi.  There may be others on chyde.uwasa.fi and / or
Simtel20, but for those please see the relevant file lists.  At
chyde.uwasa.fi see /pc/0contents.
   On the commercial side TurboPower Software has source code
formatting in its Turbo Professional package.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

jourdan@minos.inria.fr (Martin Jourdan) (09/10/90)

In article <7020008@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, mdovi@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mark Dovi) writes:

=>   Does anyone out there know of a pascal source code beautifier?  I am
=> looking for something that works like the "cb" command but for pascal.

Your reference to "cb" lets me think that you're using a Unix system.
Well, if you have the Berkeley Pascal compiler, then you can use the
companion program "pxp" to suit your needs.  Erxcept from the man page
on my Sun:

NAME
     pxp - Pascal execution profiler and prettyprinter

SYNOPSIS
     pxp [ -acdefjLnOstuw_ ] [ -23456789 ] [ -z [ name  ...  ]  ]
     name.p

DESCRIPTION
     pxp can be used to obtain execution profiles of Pascal  pro-
     grams  or  as a prettyprinter.  To produce an execution pro-
     file all that is  necessary  is  to  translate  the  program
     specifying the z option to pc, execute the program, and then
     type the command
          tutorial% pxp -z name.p

     pxp generates a reformatted listing if none of the c, t,  or
     z options are specified; thus
          tutorial% pxp old.p > new.p

     places a cleaned-up version of the program in old.p  in  the
     file new.p.

I hope tthis helps.

Martin Jourdan <jourdan@minos.inria.fr>, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France.
Why do we need all these %$#@%$# disclaimers?!?

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (09/16/90)

In article <1990Sep7.175448.20416@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>In article <7020008@hpcupt1.HP.COM> mdovi@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mark Dovi) writes:
>>  Does anyone out there know of a pascal source code beautifier?  I am
>>looking for something that works like the "cb" command but for pascal.

>   On the commercial side TurboPower Software has source code
>formatting in its Turbo Professional package.

You mean Turbo Analyst, not Turbo Professional.  It's a nice formatter, and
current versions support all the TP 5.5 extensions.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep16.160354.28319@maytag.waterloo.edu> dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>In article <1990Sep7.175448.20416@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>>   On the commercial side TurboPower Software has source code
>>formatting in its Turbo Professional package.
>
>You mean Turbo Analyst, not Turbo Professional.  It's a nice formatter, and
>current versions support all the TP 5.5 extensions.

Whatever.  Turbo Analyst and Turbo Professional are sister products,
by TurboPower, and I never recall which particular files belong to
which set.  Borland having a product (a three-pack, if you will)
also called Turbo Professional adds nicely to the general confusion :-).

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

jrwsnsr@nmt.edu (Jonathan R. Watts) (09/17/90)

From article <1990Sep17.030008.108@uwasa.fi>, by ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK):
> Whatever.  Turbo Analyst and Turbo Professional are sister products,
> by TurboPower, and I never recall which particular files belong to
> which set.  Borland having a product (a three-pack, if you will)
> also called Turbo Professional adds nicely to the general confusion :-).

Well, Borland's Turbo Professional is now a 4-pack, not a 3-pack (Turbo
Pascal 5.5, Turbo Assembler 2.0, Turbo Debugger 2.0, and Turbo Profiler 1.0).
This unfortunate choice of names may be why TurboPower renamed their Turbo
Professional package to Object Professional when they updated it for TP 5.5
(and yes, I realize Object Professional is quite different from the old
Turbo Professional, but it is still similar in functionality).

  - Jonathan Watts

jrwsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu (Internet address)