[comp.lang.pascal] Text scrolling

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (09/21/90)

Is there any way to scroll graphics text in TP 5.5?  I've just been
playing around with GetImage and PutImage and ran into a "heap" of
trouble.  Any other way?

Thanks in advance --

  Glenn Davis Stone              INTERNET  stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
  Columbia University                UUCP rutgers!columbia!cunixb!stone

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.220622.8735@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:
>Is there any way to scroll graphics text in TP 5.5?  I've just been
>playing around with GetImage and PutImage and ran into a "heap" of
>trouble.  Any other way?

   GetImage and PutImage can also be made to work, but if you want
an alternative the solution it is about the following.  You'll have
to store the strings on the screen in a suitable stringarray.  Then,
when scrolling is due, you rewrite the strings one row earlier
starting from the second row.  Because you are in graphics mode, you
must also have a procedure to erase the row (use the Bar procedure).
   If you are interested in a demonstration of graphics text
scrolling, see /pc/ts/tsdemo14.arc available by anonymous ftp from
chyde.uwasa.fi.  I used an individual heap for each row, because
GetImage size is limited by the length of the word type.  Also make
sure in the heap solution, that you get the size of the image
correctly by using ImageSize.  Anyway, the point here is that the
heap solution can be done.  But note that the "text-array solution"
is much faster than the "heap-solution".

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)