[comp.lang.pascal] window

xanuttall@levels.sait.edu.au (09/20/90)

I have noticed using Turbo Pascal 5.5 that when you use the crt
procedure window to to change the screen borders, when you select a
region only 1 line high, it spits the dummy and scrolls the rest of the
screen.  I can find no mention of it in the manual.

demonstration code follows :

for loop := 0 to 3999 do
mem[$b000:loop] := random(255);  { $b800 for colour screens }
window(1,1,50,1);
writeln('Hi there');

any help appreciated.

tony
--

                Anthony Nuttall aka XANUTTALL@levels.sait.edu.au
           South Australian Institute of Technology, Adelaide, S.A.

"It's quite ironic my lord, because I have a thingy shaped just like a turnip"
                      Baldrick, BlackAdder II

--

                   Anthony Nuttall aka The Bishop
          SA Institute of Technology et891856@lux.sait.edu.au

rind@hscfvax.uucp (747707@d.rind) (09/24/90)

In article <15445.26f8cfbb@levels.sait.edu.au> xanuttall@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>I have noticed using Turbo Pascal 5.5 that when you use the crt
>procedure window to to change the screen borders, when you select a
>region only 1 line high, it spits the dummy and scrolls the rest of the
>screen.  I can find no mention of it in the manual.
>for loop := 0 to 3999 do
>mem[$b000:loop] := random(255);  { $b800 for colour screens }
>window(1,1,50,1);
>writeln('Hi there');

I'm not sure what you mean by "spits the dummy", but if I understand
what this program is intended to do I think your problem is that
you are using Writeln instead of Write.  Writeln is necessarily causing
a line feed at the end of your output line, and if you are directing
that output into a one line high window the line feed scrolls the
window and moves your line of text out.
Try substituting the line: Write('Hi there'); for your line.
But perhpaps I'm misunderstanding your question.

   David Rind          rind@hscfvax.harvard.edu