[comp.lang.pascal] VAX Pascal

dwayne@rover.bsd.uchicago.edu (05/26/89)

Hey!!!! Are there any VAX Pascal programmers outthere????

I don't mind Turbo Pascal, but if those are the only people that
read/write to this group than that's too bad. There are VAX-Pascal
things, for example, that have good potential for discussion.

    1) Optimization.  Have you ever had a program work when compiled
    	/no-optimize but not otherwise.
    2) Programs.  I have some good Pascal programs for the VAX,
    	but I've never posted them because everybody seems to be
    	TP.
    3) Directives.  Does anyone know what all of the VAX compiler
    	directives really do?
    4) Resource sharing.  ANSI standard Pascal is aweful for
    	sharing anything.  But VAX has a lot of power actually.
    	(This is what I do, by the way)

There are all sorts of things that can be discussed about other
implementations of Pascal.  So let me know if there is anybody
out there, before I unsubscibe (after 6 mos.) also.

Dwayne Spradlin

In article <3466@tank.uchicago.edu> dwayne@rover.bsd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Hey!!!! Are there any VAX Pascal programmers outthere????

  Yep, one at least.  We don't come into this group too much 'cause
there are all these questions about toy Pascal compilers :-) .

>    1) Optimization.  Have you ever had a program work when compiled
>    	/no-optimize but not otherwise.

  Yes, on occasion.  Usually I take the time to track down the cause
and SPR it to DEC.  The worst one I ever helped track down had to do
with conformant arrays--the compiler was optimizing 1-1 to be 2 in
some cases (!).
  Generally, though, I find the compiler to be very good.  I haven't
run into any bugs in the last year or so (though I haven't been doing
as much programming either).

>    3) Directives.  Does anyone know what all of the VAX compiler
>    	directives really do?

  Well, I've used all of them at one time or another, I think.  Most
of them aren't really that complicated.  I do wish sometimes that I
could add [VOLATILE] to "output":

	program fred(input, [volatile]output)

so that I don't get warnings if I want to write anything out in an
AST.  (At least, when I know output is s'posed to be the terminal.)

>    4) Resource sharing.  ANSI standard Pascal is aweful for
>    	sharing anything.  But VAX has a lot of power actually.
>    	(This is what I do, by the way)

  You mean, in terms of file stuff, or memory, or what?  File sharing
is great!  Sharing data structures using a global section is nice too;
some friends of mine are working on a multi-user star trek game which
runs in real-time using a (huge) shared data structure.

>There are all sorts of things that can be discussed about other
>implementations of Pascal.  So let me know if there is anybody
>out there, before I unsubscibe (after 6 mos.) also.

  Well, I'm here...having fun with Apple ][ (UCSD) Pascal, VMS Pascal,
and (soon) LightSpeed [or is it Think now?] Pascal on the Mac.  And
occasionally fighting with the stupid 'pc' on UNIX systems which isn't
really Pascal, but which people out here seem to think defines the
standard (ugh!)....

>Dwayne Spradlin

+---------------------------+------------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |
+---------------------------+------------------------+

granoff@vaxwrk.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) (05/27/89)

I don't think this newsgroup ever intended to exclude any member of the Pascal
community.  I guess there are more people using Turbo Pascal with questions
than there are VAX Pascal programmers with questions.

By all means, contribute!  Sure, a majority of questions are TP specific, but
just as many questions could be generic, dealing with general issues of the
Pascal language.  For example, how to best implement some routine or data
structure using (standard) pascal.

I for one would be interested in any VAX Pascal (as well as Turbo Pascal)
programs anyone would like to offer!

Don't get discouraged!  That's how newsgroups disappear.

Mark H. Granoff               | Software Services/Engineering VAXworks
Digital Equipment Corporation | ARPAnet: granoff@vaxwrk.dec.com
129 Parker Street             | EASYnet: VAXWRK::GRANOFF
PKO2-1/M21                    | Usenet : ...!decwrl!vaxwrk!granoff
Maynard, MA 01754             | AT&T   : (508) 493-4512
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
            reflect those of my employer.

grimesg@magic (George Grimes) (05/30/89)

In article <3466@tank.uchicago.edu> dwayne@rover.bsd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Hey!!!! Are there any VAX Pascal programmers outthere????

Stuff deleted.

>    1) Optimization.  Have you ever had a program work when compiled
>    	/no-optimize but not otherwise.
Not lately...things seem to be pretty solid now.
>    2) Programs.  I have some good Pascal programs for the VAX,
>    	but I've never posted them because everybody seems to be
>    	TP.
Post it.  I'd be interested in seeing it.
>    3) Directives.  Does anyone know what all of the VAX compiler
>    	directives really do?
I'm not sure I know all of them but if you have questions about specific
ones then post them.
>    4) Resource sharing.  ANSI standard Pascal is aweful for
>    	sharing anything.  But VAX has a lot of power actually.
>    	(This is what I do, by the way)
I'm not sure what you mean about the sharing but I agree that Vax Pascal
is very powerful.  I wish some of it's extensions were available in my
PC versions.

>There are all sorts of things that can be discussed about other
>implementations of Pascal.  So let me know if there is anybody
>out there, before I unsubscibe (after 6 mos.) also.
>
>Dwayne Spradlin
Certainly there are others here.

George Grimes

DOMAIN: grimesg@sj.ate.slb.com           | George Grimes
UUCP:   {decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!grimesg    | Schlumberger Technologies
INTERNET: grimesg%sjs@sdr.slb.com        | 840 Avenue F #108
PHONE:  (214)422-7200                    | Plano, Tx. 75074

rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) (06/02/89)

One more here...

mreisch@charon.unm.edu (Mique Reisch) (06/05/89)

And yet another

ernie@uncle.calvin.edu (Ernest D. Brouwer) (09/25/90)

I am looking for documentation regarding VAX Pascal.  Can anyone point me in
the right direction?  Please email directly as I don't get a chance to read
this list very often.

ADVthanksANCE

--
  Ernest D. Brouwer
  Unix System Administrator

ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) (09/26/90)

>In article <24595@adm.BRL.MIL> ernie@uncle.calvin.edu (Ernest D. Brouwer) writes:
>I am looking for documentation regarding VAX Pascal.  Can anyone point me in
>the right direction?  Please email directly as I don't get a chance to read
>this list very often.
>
>ADVthanksANCE
>
>--
>  Ernest D. Brouwer
>  Unix System Administrator
>  Calvin College		     [place disclaimer here]

 How about VMS Help... Just about Everything is documented there...
 and for some example code, you can look in PASCAL$EXAMPLES
 (if its defined on your system..)
 and one last place I can think of...
 SYS$HELP:PASCAL%%%.RELEASE_NOTES...

 These should be useful..