[comp.lang.pascal] New PASCAL Standard

gaertner@tertius.uucp (10/12/90)

            **********  NEW PASCAL STANDARD  **************

I recently got the new IEEE publication catalog. They are selling the new
PASCAL standard (IEEE/ANSI). You may order a copy for $ 66.- (non IEEE member).
The catalog number is   1066 ,
and the title is    770X3.160-8989 Standard for the Extended High Level
                    Programming Language PASCAL.

As I know, this standard is implemented by the new VAX/VMS PASCAL (Vers. 4).
========

Ralf Gaertner                   e-mail: gaertner@fhi-berlin.mpg.dbp.de
Fritz-Haber-Institut

cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) (10/16/90)

In article <1882@tertius.uucp> gaertner@tertius.uucp writes:

>            **********  NEW PASCAL STANDARD  **************
>
>I recently got the new IEEE publication catalog. They are selling the new
>PASCAL standard (IEEE/ANSI).

  When did the new standard come into being?  I am aware of 'ANSI' Pascal
being around already (such as Think Pascal on the Mac), is this another
iteration?

--
      Cameron Shelley        | "Saw, n.  A trite popular saying, or proverb.
cpshelley@violet.waterloo.edu|  So called because it makes its way into a

reagan@hiyall.enet.dec.com (John R. Reagan) (10/16/90)

In article <1882@tertius.uucp>, gaertner@tertius.uucp writes...

>As I know, this standard is implemented by the new VAX/VMS PASCAL (Vers. 4).

This is not true.  VAX Pascal V4.0 DOES NOT conform to Extended Pascal.
It has many of the features of Extended Pascal (probably a higher
percentage than any other compiler I'm aware of).

---
John Reagan
Digital Equipment Corporation
reagan@hiyall.enet.dec.com
Disclaimer:  The opinions and statements expressed by me are not
             necessarily those of Digital Equipment Corporation.
---

reagan@hiyall.enet.dec.com (John R. Reagan) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.173544.17534@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) writes...

>  When did the new standard come into being?  I am aware of 'ANSI' Pascal
>being around already (such as Think Pascal on the Mac), is this another
>iteration?

The Extended Pascal standard has been under construction since the previous
Pascal standard in 1983 was released.  Extended Pascal had two public
comments, the first being in 1986.  Announcements of the public comments
were printed in several well-known journals and several articles about
Extended Pascal have appeared in SIGPLAN notices.

I have posted the list of features from Extended Pascal's foreword in
this newsgroup before (haven't they made it to the newsgroup?)

Extended Pascal represents a major increase in functionality over
unextended ANSI Pascal.  Don't think of it as an iteration, but
a revolution.

---