[comp.lang.pascal] turbo pascal 6.0

vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Valerie Drake) (09/23/90)

From "Turbo Pascal 6.0 Nears Shipment" September 17,1990 Infoworld,
Page 8, by Stuart Johnson.  Points of interest mentioned include:

1) Extensions to object oriented programming environment.
   OOP programming now supports both private data and methods.

2) Stability and compatibility.  One beta tester said: "We have close
   to 100,000 lines [of previous code] and it all compiled.   We had to
   delete two lines; not even change them." Another said: "I brought our
   application up and the compiler didn't add any bugs.  I'm going to
   be significantly better off with the new environment for debugging.
   It's increased the number of modules we can debug simultaneously."

3) 286 specific code generation.  No more was said about this than a brief
   mention.

4) A significantly improved development environment.  Features mentioned
   include mouse support, multiple windows, clipboard, hypertext-based help,
   project management a la Turbo C, a multifile editor, and a macro language
   compiler to automate keystrokes.

5) Redefinition of some previously reserved keywords as directives, so
   developers can use them as variables.  The example given was that virtual
   can now be used as a variable.

6) Beta testers got copies 3-4 weeks ago.  Price and availability have not
   been set yet.  The beta copies seem to be quite robust.

That was about all the article had to say.  No official word from Borland as
to capabilities and features, or release dates.

+---------------------+--------------------+ "After all, they're all just
|                     |                    |  Monkey Boys!"
|                     |    +--+  +--+   o  | -- Dr. Lizardo
|                     | |\/   .\/.   \/|  o| vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
|        //////       | |   )) /\ ((   | o | Val & Lee Drake (The Fish Faces)
|       /_   _\       | |/\+--+  +--+/\| | | University of Rochester and
|      ( Q   ^ )      |                  | | Azatar MicroSystems
+--,,,,----U----,,,,--+--------------------+ Rochester, NY

magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (10/23/90)

	I understand that TP 6.0 is well into its beta testing stage by now.
Does anyone know for sure whether one can write windows 3 programs with it?
What is new?   When will it be released?  Will Borland force TP5.5 owners to
fork out a fortune for the upgrade?  Any info will be appreciated.

Paul

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct23.013846.22798@agate.berkeley.edu> magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:

>	I understand that TP 6.0 is well into its beta testing stage by now.
>Does anyone know for sure whether one can write windows 3 programs with it?
>What is new?   When will it be released?  Will Borland force TP5.5 owners to
>fork out a fortune for the upgrade?  Any info will be appreciated.

There have been lots of rumours in PC Week and Infoworld, all but one of which
haven't been confirmed by Borland.  Here's the list from memory:

 - No windows support
 - Changes to OOP extensions:  some reserved words are no longer reserved,
   private data and methods are supported
 - Compiler switch to generate 80286 code (not 386, and not protected mode,
   as far as I've heard)
 - Something called TurboVision, which is some sort of forms generator or
   something
 - A new IDE like the TC++ one
 - Release date November 5.  This was confirmed to me by Borland tech support.

I've probably missed one or two rumours, but there's not long to wait anyways.

Duncan Murdoch

andy%vaxa.decnet@nusc-npt.navy.mil (VAXA::ANDY) (10/30/90)

Date sent:  29-OCT-1990 20:31:44

Turbo Pascal 6.0 will be released on November 6, 1990.  Borland will be hosting
a meeting of the Boston Computer Society and giving away free copies to members
of the BCC.  For anyone local to Boston, Mass I am sorry that I do not know the
location of the meeting.  However I am attending with a friend who is a member
so I will get a chance to tell the net all the new and obscelete features of
TP6.0

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
- Andy Sullivan                          _________    ________      ________   =
= andy%vaxb.decnet@nusc-npt.navy.mil    /\________\  /\_______\    /\_______\  -
- Aquidneck Data Company               / /  ___   / / /  ____  \  / /  _____/  =
= 170 Enterprise Center               / /  /__/  / / /  / / /  / / /  /        -
- Middletown, RI 02840               / /  ___   / / /  /_/ /  / / /  /         =
= (401) 847-7260                    / /  /  /  / / /  /__\/  / / /  /_____     -
-                                   \/__/  /__/  \/_________/  \/________/     =
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) (10/30/90)

In article <24887@adm.BRL.MIL>, andy%vaxa.decnet@nusc-npt.navy.mil
 (VAXA::ANDY) writes:
>Turbo Pascal 6.0 will be released on Nov 6, 1990.  Borland will be hosting
>a meeting of the Boston Computer Society and giving away free copies to members
>of the BCS. ...

The Boston Computer Society's meeting is Monday, November 5th, 1990 at the
Westin Hotel in Boston, 5:30pm to 10pm.  BCS members (perhaps only Boston area
members, or BCS IBMPC interest group members) were notifed via a special
mailing, which requested an RSVP for the meeting.  I suspect they'll be
checking membership cards at the door, as they did for a similar meeting at
Synphony Hall a couple of years ago for NeXT.

Mark H. Granoff   |    Enterprise Integration Services/Engineering VAXworks
Digital Equipment Corporation | ARPAnet: granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com
129 Parker Street             | Usenet : ...!decwrl!vaxwrk.dec.com!granoff
PKO2-1/M21                    | AT&T   : +1 508 493 4512
Maynard, MA 01754             | FAX    : +1 508 493 2240
Opinions herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Digital.