[comp.lang.pascal] MATRIX arithmetic functions wanted

rich1@cbnewsd.att.com (richard.s.penner) (10/30/90)

I am looking for source code for functions which do matrix arithmetic.
Specifically, functions such as matrix inversion, reduction, multiplication
and computing the determinant of a matrix.

I am specifically looking for a Turbo Pascal implementation of these, but
source code in any version of Pascal of any other high level language would
be greatly appreciated.

Any pointers or suggestions are most welcome.

Please reply to the poster of this articles is you have any information.

Richard S. Penner
AT&T Bell Laboratories
708-713-4339

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct29.184512.4130@cbnewsd.att.com> rich1@cbnewsd.att.com (richard.s.penner) writes:
>I am looking for source code for functions which do matrix arithmetic.
>Specifically, functions such as matrix inversion, reduction, multiplication
>and computing the determinant of a matrix.
>
>I am specifically looking for a Turbo Pascal implementation of these, but
>source code in any version of Pascal of any other high level language would
>be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps:
Press, William & Flannery, Brian & Teukolsky, Saul & Vetterling,
  William (1986). Numerical Recipes. The Art of Scientific
  computing. Cambridge University Press.

Positively:
Turbo Pascal. Numerical Methods Toolbox. Version 4.0. Borland.

Matrix programs with no source code: /pc/ts/tsmatr11.arc.

The tsmatr11.arc package is available by anonymous ftp from
chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland, 128.214.12.3, or by using our mail
server (use the latter if, and only if you don't have anonymous
ftp).  If you are not familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I
am prepared send prerecorded instructions on request (provided that
your email address is reachable).

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

north@manta.NOSC.MIL (Mark H. North) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.094656.16347@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>Perhaps:
>Press, William & Flannery, Brian & Teukolsky, Saul & Vetterling,
>  William (1986). Numerical Recipes. The Art of Scientific
>  computing. Cambridge University Press.

No. They are confused and the book is confusing. I'm sorry I can't provide
a good reference for Matrix functions but I would hate to see one spend
endless hours trying to get Press's codes to work (as I have). Maybe it's
just deconvolution they're confused about but when I finally figured out
that the variable K that they were talking about in the book wasn't the
same variable K in the program they supplied I got pretty irritated. I
tried to sort it all out but finally wrote my own deconvolver in less time
than I had already spent mucking about with their stuff.

Mark