[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo Pascal Upgrade

streich@.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) (11/14/90)

Does anyone know how/if we can upgrade to Turbo Pascal 6.0?

Any idea of the cost, etc.?

Thanks (in advance).

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (11/15/90)

In article <29704@boulder.Colorado.EDU> streich@.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) writes:
>Does anyone know how/if we can upgrade to Turbo Pascal 6.0?
>
>Any idea of the cost, etc.?

From the back cover of the Nov. Dr. Dobb's the upgrade price is
  $69.95 for Turbo Pascal 6.0
  $99.95 for Turbo Pascal Professional 6.0

No mention of which TP versions the upgrade is valid.  Suggested retail is
$149.95 and $299.95 for TP6 and TP Prof. 6.0 respectively.

Upgrade phone number is: 1-800-331-0877

--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (11/15/90)

I think Borland's upgrade policy for the educational market is really not
as nice. In one sentence: they have no upgrade prices for academic versions!
They always price the academic version at about the same price as the upgrade.
So in the long run, the difference between investing on a academic version
or a commercial version is only in the price you paid the first time. But for
that price, you don't get user support for the rest of your life and you can't
sell any of the older versions.

In article <IbEWDfG00XQ=M1drph@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>I think Borland's upgrade policy for the educational market is really not
>as nice. In one sentence: they have no upgrade prices for academic versions!
>They always price the academic version at about the same price as the upgrade.
>So in the long run, the difference between investing on a academic version
>or a commercial version is only in the price you paid the first time. But for
>that price, you don't get user support for the rest of your life and you can't
>sell any of the older versions.

I upgraded TP 5.0 to TP 5.5 for $15 through our school bookstore.  The only
problem with it was that it was three months after TP 5.5 had been released :-(.
Apparently, Borland supplies retail sellers first and acedemics last (which
I can understand given their acedemic pricing policies).  I just wish that
Borland would accept acedemic upgrades over their 800 phone number so I
wouldn't have to wait so long.

As far as I know they don't have a solid upgrade policy. I think that I just
lucked into a good deal.  Our bookstore did not announce this upgrade policy,
I just overheard another person upgrading his copy and started asking questions.
I was not able to get a similar deal on the Quattro to Quattro Plus upgrade :-(

Bottom Line:  Keep checking with your university's bookstore/computer store.
              They may let you upgrade at a cheaper price just to keep you
              from bothering them :-).  At worst case you'll just have to
              buy a new copy at close to what the upgrade offer is.