[comp.lang.pascal] TP 6.0

phys169@canterbury.ac.nz (10/04/90)

In article <26974@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, streich@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) writes:
> I want the ability to have public read-only fields in my objects so I
> don't have to create functions for every field when I want to let
> someone access the value of a field, but not modify it.
>
> example:
>
>   rootclass = object
>     employee_num : string; readonly;
>   end;
>
>   var anobj : rootclass;
>
> legal:
>   if anobj.employee_num = ... then
>
> illegal:
>   anobj.employee_num := ... ;
>
> Is this what people mean by "private" fields?

phys169@canterbury.ac.nz (10/04/90)

Whoops! Sorry, my last posting got messed up.
What I really wanted to ask is (having missed some of the earlier postings),
what is known about TP 6.0 - I heard it was in Beta testing, supported MS
Windows, but I'd love to know any info.
Mark Aitchison.

nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (10/07/90)

Soory to annoy you guys with this matter once more: I forgot one
item on my wish list: Garbage collection...

Unless some of you have access to a .tpu unit that would replace the
heap manager ... now that would be a nifty idea. If only I had enough time...

But then again, maybe there is no way to replace the heap manager, in which
case Tp 6.0 should be more flexible.

Enough of this rambling ... I have the Comps to prepare for and I can't
seem to find the time to write even the smallest program ... not even
a `Hello World' with a auto-configurable menu-driven installation program ...

:)

Back to those books ...

---Naji.
--
         ---------------+-------------------------------------------
        | Naji Mouawad  |       nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu         |

kevdavis@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kevin S. Davis) (11/19/90)

I guess I must have missed something in the newsgroup, but has TP6.0 been
released yet?

If it has been released yet, how much does it cost?

Another thing about the cost, I am a college student, is there a discount?

Finally, were do I call, any 800 numbers?

Kevin Davis
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
kevdavis@wpi.wpi.edu

6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) (11/20/90)

From article <1990Nov19.133015.15615@wpi.WPI.EDU>, by kevdavis@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kevin S. Davis):
> I guess I must have missed something in the newsgroup, but has TP6.0 been
> released yet?

Yes.

I upgraded to TP Professional 6.0, and the cost was about $100 with
shipping.  And I must say, it was worth every penny!

Here are the new features of 6.0:
     - New "private" keyword can enforce data hiding
     - In-line assembly code supported with built-in assembler
     - Better integrated environment (like TC++)
     - TurboVision (see below)
     - Better manuals (see below)

TurboVision is a set of objects that can be used to very easily
create sophisticated windowing interfaces.  The integrated
environment that comes with TC++ and TP6 is a good example... it
was created with TurboVision.

Instead of two bulky manuals, there are now four smaller ones that
are bound in such a way that once you open them, they lie flat on
your desk and don't try to close themselves.  The new manuals are:
Users' Guide, Programmers' Guide, Library Reference, and TurboVision
Reference.  The Users' Guide is much the same as previous Users'
Guides, but it is somewhat easier reading and has some good example
programs in it.  The Library Reference seems pretty small, but it is
complete.  I suppose a few more example programs would have fattened
it up.  Overall, the manuals are great, but you won't use them as
much as the TP5 manuals because the new on-line help is so much more
extensive.

Overall, it is a great product, and I'm very happy to see that
Borland is not letting its other languages (like Pascal) slide while
devoting all its time to C (like some companies do).

By the way, my first test of TP6 was to compile a 6500-line TP5.0
program with it.  This program is broken up into many units, and
uses just about every feature of TP5.0.  It compiled and ran without
a hitch, and the EXE file was actually smaller than the old EXE.
I couldn't detect any difference in execution speed.

 -- Mike

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) (11/20/90)

TP6.0 was released a couple of weeks ago, although I haven't got one. It
sounds like that there is no much difference bettween TP6.0 and TP5.5.

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) (11/20/90)

Question 1.  Is the environment multi-window?
Question 2. Does TurboVision come with just TP or TP Professional?

6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) (11/20/90)

From article <11514@j.cc.purdue.edu>, by zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou):
> Question 1.  Is the environment multi-window?

Yes.  It has overlapping windows, just like the environment that
came with Turbo C++.  It seems to have a few minor features that
the TC++ environment didn't have, such as the ability to choose
where to save your desktop setup, but overall it is just about the
same.  I especially like the ability to mark a block of text using
shift + the arrow keys.  I have grown tired of Ctrl-K,B and
Ctrl-K,K!

> Question 2. Does TurboVision come with just TP or TP Professional?

I think it comes with both, but I'm not sure.  I was surprised to
see that there is a difference nowadays.  When I bought TP5.0, the
professional version was just normal TP plus the assembler and
debugger.  But with version 6.0 there are two command-line compilers,
TPC which comes with both versions, and TPCX which comes only with
the professional version and can compile large programs in
extended memory.  Of course, the professional version also comes
with TD 2.01, TASM 2.01, and TPROF 1.01.

Mike

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (11/20/90)

In article <11514@j.cc.purdue.edu>, zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes...

>Question 1.  Is the environment multi-window?

    		YES

>Question 2. Does TurboVision come with just TP or TP Professional?

    		BOTH

    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |                                             |
|  PSCHWART@macc.wisc.edu       |       Your message here...                  |
|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |                 only 5$ per post            |
|  (608)255-5702                |                                             |

freewill@nstar.UUCP (Bill Williston) (11/21/90)

kevdavis@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kevin S. Davis) writes:

> I guess I must have missed something in the newsgroup, but has TP6.0 been
> released yet?
>
> If it has been released yet, how much does it cost?
>
> Another thing about the cost, I am a college student, is there a discount?
>
> Finally, were do I call, any 800 numbers?
>
> Kevin Davis
> Worcester Polytechnic Institute
> kevdavis@wpi.wpi.edu

Just got a letter from Borland.  Turbo 6.0 is available to registered userd
for $69.  Turbo Pascal professional is available for $99.  :-)

freewill@nstar.UUCP (Bill Williston) (11/21/90)

I am considering upgrading to TP 6.0 from TP 3.0.  Does 6.0 require a hard
disk?   Does TP 6.0 have 80386- specific features?  Thanks in advance...

6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) (11/22/90)

From article <V4sys2w161w@nstar.UUCP>, by freewill@nstar.UUCP (Bill Williston):
> I am considering upgrading to TP 6.0 from TP 3.0.  Does 6.0 require a hard
> disk?   Does TP 6.0 have 80386- specific features?  Thanks in advance...

No, it does not require a hard disk.  However, you cannot use the
on-line help without it.

TP6 has some 286 specific features, such as 286 code generation and
the TPCX compiler, which needs a 286.  I don't think there are any
386 specific features.

Mike

andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) (11/23/90)

In <7341@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) writes:
>From article <V4sys2w161w@nstar.UUCP>, by freewill@nstar.UUCP (Bill Williston):
>> I am considering upgrading to TP 6.0 from TP 3.0.  Does 6.0 require a hard
>> disk?   Does TP 6.0 have 80386- specific features?  Thanks in advance...
>No, it does not require a hard disk.  However, you cannot use the
>on-line help without it.
>TP6 has some 286 specific features, such as 286 code generation and
>the TPCX compiler, which needs a 286.  I don't think there are any
>386 specific features.

I think Bill's question was if he was able to run TP6.0 on his PC,
which probably is not a 386 and maybe even not a 286 - I think that
is so because of the missing harddisk - no offence  :-)

And yes Bill TP6.0 run on most 80x86 and 8088 IBM compatible PC and
even some that is not BIOS compatible.

Leif Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew@ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew@resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 51 54                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (11/23/90)

6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) writes:
> Of course, the professional version also comes
> with TD 2.01, TASM 2.01, and TPROF 1.01.

What is TPROF? I thought that
TD = Turbo Debugger
Tasm = Turbo Assembler
TP + TD + TASM = Turbo Professional

In another article I read something about 'the toolbox'.
What is this? Does it also come together with TP Professional?

By the way, does anybody know
- the price for upgrading from 5.5 to 6.0 professional?
- when turbo 6.0 will be available in germany?
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Tel 07641/48652
BITNET   : HAKL@DFRRUF1
Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) (11/24/90)

varous kinds of graphics adaptors. Is there any improvement? If it has
.BGI file for PCjr and TANDY, I'll upgrade my TP right away.

mcastle@mcs213a.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle) (11/25/90)

TPROF is (from my understanding of net.chat) is Turbo Profiler.  It's comes with
Turbo Professional (I *think*).  It does neat stuff like goes through your
code and says "You would do better to do this instead of that."  It's
good for getting things done in with a better method.  I'm not sure if there's
one version for all languages or if you have to get separate versions for each
language.

I wonder how well it works on imported versions of langauges, such as using it
on MSC instead of Turbo-C...

Btw, Pascal is a good pre-production langauge.  Get it done with Pascal first
so it works, then port/encrypt to/with C to tweak that extra 0.2% effeciency
out of the code.  :->

Lisp goes with New Age??  Sticks and logs for Assembler?  rec.music.programmers?
:->
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

garlange@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Garlanger) (11/26/90)

In article <1721@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> mcastle@mcs213a.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle) writes:

>Btw, Pascal is a good pre-production langauge.  Get it done with Pascal first
>so it works, then port/encrypt to/with C to tweak that extra 0.2% effeciency
>out of the code.  :->

Why mess with C, Jump straight to assembler for the critical routines.
you can cut execution times down 50% or more.  Pascal/Asm combo works great
for me.

					Mark

michael@uvphys.phys.uvic.ca (MRENSING) (11/26/90)

In article <1721@umriscc.isc.umr.edu>, Mike Castle writes...
>TPROF is (from my understanding of net.chat) is Turbo Profiler.  It's comes
>with Turbo Professional (I *think*).  It does neat stuff like goes through your
>code and says "You would do better to do this instead of that."  It's
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(Actually, it makes no suggestions on how to improve things.)
>good for getting things done in with a better method.  I'm not sure if there's
>one version for all languages or if you have to get separate versions for each
>language.
>
>I wonder how well it works on imported versions of langauges, such as using it
>on MSC instead of Turbo-C...

TPROF does indded stand for Turbo Profiler. I received a copy of it when I
purchased Turbo C++ Professional. I believe it is now part of all the
Professional packages. The manual states that it works with TurboC, TurboC++,
TurboPascal v5.0 and later, Microsoft C, and I can't remember if there were
others.

*  Michael J. Rensing                  *  Michael@UVPhys.bitnet                *
*  Department of Physics and Astronomy *  Michael@UVPhys.phys.UVic.CA (INET)   *
*  University of Victoria              *                                       *
*  Victoria, B.C., Canada              *                                       *
*          Why should anyone else be responsible for my opinions ?             *

karlth@rhi.hi.is (Karl Thoroddsen) (11/26/90)

In <1990Nov23.155706.814@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:

>What is TPROF? I thought that
>TD = Turbo Debugger
>Tasm = Turbo Assembler
>TP + TD + TASM = Turbo Professional

TPROF = Turbo Profiler, a program that finds bottlenecks in programs,
			measures the speed of each line, function, etc.

>In another article I read something about 'the toolbox'.
>What is this? Does it also come together with TP Professional?

Turbovision, a menu system, is also included with 6.0

>By the way, does anybody know
>- the price for upgrading from 5.5 to 6.0 professional?

$99

>- when turbo 6.0 will be available in germany?

I think that the usual Borland policy is to release it's products
worldwide at the same time, so you could try your Borland dealer.

--
Karl Thoroddsen             Computer Science           University of Iceland