[comp.lang.pascal] What does it mean for TP 6.0 to run in extended mode?

CDCKAB%EMUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu ( Karl Brendel) (12/04/90)

In article 28597@usc, ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

>Is it like td in needing clean extended memory to run?  I do a lot of
>useful things with my expanded memory; having to strip my config.sys
>bare in order to run TP (like I currently do with TD) would be a
>drag.
>
>Currently, I have a ramdisk and a disk cache on expanded memory, and
>the machine starts up by loading 386Max as memory manager which takes
>over all memory and displays expanded memory to applications.  Am I
>doing something wrong in having to completely remove all these
>goodies from config.sys before running td?

You can run TPCX (the 6.0 extended memory version of TPC) with QEMM
as a memory manager, so I suspect you can run it with 386Max as well.
I don't know about coexistence with VDISK in extended memory, but I
suspect it does ok there, too.

You can run straight TD with QEMM as well. It's TD386 that can't get
along with memory managers. (Probably TD286 can't, either.) If you're
cleaning house so you can run plain TD, itmay be a waste of time. I
regularly run TD with my "normal" configuration, which is full of
drivers and TSRs. The only thing I have to change is to turn off the
use of video memory as normal memory--TD locks up if I forget to do
that. I only throw out QEMM when I need to run TD386 for some reason.
(In my experience, "normal" debugging doesn't benefit from TD386
unless there's an available memory shortage.) Oh--I routinely load
TDH386.SYS into high memory under QEMM.

| Karl Brendel                                Centers for Disease Control |
| Internet: CDCKAB@EMUVM1.BITNET              Epidemiology Program Office |
| Bitnet: CDCKAB@EMUVM1                       Atlanta, GA, USA            |
| ILink/RIME: KARL BRENDEL                    phone 404/639-2709          |
| CIS  : 73307,3101                           fts       236-2709          |
| GEnie: K.BRENDEL                            Home of Epi Info 5.0        |