[comp.lang.pascal] Homework on the net, sigh, not again

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/07/90)

:
>Yes this is true. But why are you assuming that he wants to do his homework
>on USENET? Don't you think its a bit prejudging to assume right off the
:
>Anyway -- what does everyone else think about this? I've seen both sorts of
>attitudes on the subject. What do you guys think comp.lang.c should do?

Sigh! We had the same discussion (partly my doing) almost exactly a
year ago (coincidence? :-).  Yes, the opinions were quite divided.
One of the views was to take a selfish stand, that is that
everything that benefits comp.lang.pascal should be freely
discussed.  This may be the best tenet.  But in my role as a teacher
I also feel that the possibility should not be (overly?) misused.
On the other hand, being able to use this media amounts to something
in a student's education, right.  There is no unequivocal answer.

As to the current problem of solving the polynomial roots.  If one
needs the solution for REAL (not imaginary :-) tasks, then just buy
the Turbo Pascal Numerical Toolbox, as I pointed out in an earlier
posting.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)