[comp.lang.pascal] Selling old versions of TP..

popkin@cs.odu.edu (The Programmer - AI) (12/15/90)

Ok ALL.. I called borland at 408-438-5300 and got the story on selling old
versions....

They say its ok and no problem..

When you sell it, the new owner must call or write borland
and register that version you sold them..

They must remove you as the owner and register themsleves..

Its perfectly legal..

So there shouldnt be any more arguing about it if borlands says
its ok right?

Have fun with tp 6.0

There comming out with TP 1.0 for windows in Jan..

It will allow you to write applications for windows..
C++ will be out later that year..

Well happy programming...

Brian

| In-Real-Life: Brian Popkin, Computer Science Major, Old Dominion University |
| Email-Address: popkin@cs.odu.edu or popkin@xanth.cs.odu.edu                 |
| Yes I wrote the AI program Unixjr.....                                      |

jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec15.022348.11766@cs.odu.edu> popkin@cs.odu.edu (The Programmer - AI) writes:
>Ok ALL.. I called borland at 408-438-5300 and got the story on selling old
>versions....
>
>They say its ok and no problem..
>
>When you sell it, the new owner must call or write borland
>and register that version you sold them..
>
>They must remove you as the owner and register themsleves..
>
>Its perfectly legal..
>
>Brian

This still does not answer a particularly vexing question...  Can the
new owner of the old software (who is now the registered owner of the
old software) also upgrade to the new software by paying the same
upgrade fee?  And if so, can s/he sell the old copy to yet another
person who can do the same thing, ad infinitum???

If this is true, then Borland has gone into competition with its
own distributors and vendors, since by the simple technique of
passing an old copy around and reregistering it over and over
again, the new software can be acquired (directly from Borland)
at a much lower price than list, or even normal discounted cost.

Of course, this may be exactly what Borland has in mind, since
their probable wholesale cost to a distributor may be less
than what their upgrade fee is...  It still doesn't sound right
though.

The only other possibility that I can see is that each original
carries with it only one upgrade "right" and once that is used
by the true original owner, no further upgrade rights are
allowed on that package... Thus, the new owner does not get
upgrade rights (which would put the value of the old software
at a much lower level)... I would be interested in what Borland
has to say about this...

Jon Rosen