[comp.lang.pascal] Device drivers

pilgrimk@lafcol.UUCP ([5m[7m[1mchaudhas[0m) (02/08/89)

Has anyone out there come across a program which removes or
installs device drivers?

i.e. If ANSI.SYS is already loaded and I want to replace this with
a driver of my own, the program do this for me. Or if I haven't loaded
VDISK.SYS, the program will also take care of that problem ... etc.

*Note: the program can be run at anytime, not only at boot-up time!

Something along those lines will do fine.

please use e-mail

Thanks
 -Kenwyn

network@hgcvax (craig chaiken) (02/17/89)

In article <381@lafcol.UUCP>, pilgrimk@lafcol.UUCP ([5m[7m[1mchaudhas[0m) writes:
> Has anyone out there come across a program which removes or
> installs device drivers?
>
> i.e. If ANSI.SYS is already loaded and I want to replace this with
> a driver of my own, the program do this for me. Or if I haven't loaded
> VDISK.SYS, the program will also take care of that problem ... etc.
>
> *Note: the program can be run at anytime, not only at boot-up time!
>  -Kenwyn

I wrote such a program.  It works for character devices only, though.
I haven't figured out why block devices don't work.  Anyway, I
submitted this program in article form to PC Magazine.  If they don't
accept it, expect to see it in comp.sys.ibm.pc in the near future.

Craig Chaiken
Hartford Graduate Center
Computing Services

EPMFM08%YUBGSS21.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Dragan Cvetkovic) (12/18/90)

 I am new to this group, so I don't know if somebody already asked
this question. Is there a way to find out what device drivers are
loaded in config.sys, other then looking it that file? Namely, I
wrote some program that works correctly with screen driver qwikansi.sys
but doesn't work correctly with (usual) screen driver ansi.sys, so I
would like my program to check out which device driver is loaded, and to
give an apropriate message. Is it possible to do this in Turbo Pascal?
Any help will be apriciated.
  Sorry for bad english and spelling, but I am in a kind of hurry.
                Regards, D. Cvetkovic
                            ..
---------------------------m--m----------------------------------------------
|  Dragan Cvetkovic          |       ecvetkov@yubgef51.bitnet               |
|  Faculty of Mathematics    |       epmfm08@yubgss21.bitnet                |
|  Belgrade                  |-----------------------------------------------
|  Yugoslavia                | If all economists were laid end to end       |
|  phone +38-11-630 151      | they would not reach a conclusion. (B. Shaw) |
---------------------------w--w----------------------------------------------
                            ''

bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) (12/19/90)

In article <25292@adm.brl.mil> EPMFM08%YUBGSS21.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Dragan Cvetkovic) writes:

>     Hi|
> I am new to this group, so I don't know if somebody already asked
>this question. Is there a way to find out what device drivers are
>loaded in config.sys, other then looking it that file?

  Yes, but the answer is not short or simple.  I refer you to the
  book _The MSDOS Papers_, by the Waite Group (sorry, don't know
  the publisher.)  If you can't get a copy, try any reference that
  mentions the DOS List of Lists or deals with writing your own
  device driver.  If this fails, contact me by e-mail and we'll
  talk.

  Bob Beauchaine
  bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM

dave@tygra.ddmi.com (David Conrad) (12/19/90)

In article <6541@vice.ICO.TEK.COM> bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) writes:

>  [...]  I refer you to the
>  book _The MSDOS Papers_, by the Waite Group (sorry, don't know
>  the publisher.)  If you can't get a copy, try any reference that
>  mentions the DOS List of Lists or deals with writing your own
>  device driver.  [...]
>
>  Bob Beauchaine
>  bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM

The Waite Group's
MS-DOS Papers
Copyright 1988 by The Waite Group
Howard W. Sams & Company
A Division of Macmillan, Inc.
4300 West 62nd Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46268 USA
International Standard Book Number: 0-672-22594-8
Library of Congress Card Catalog Number: 88-60990
For the retailer nearest you, or to order directly from the publisher,
call 800-428-SAMS.  In Indiana, Alaska, and Hawaii call 317-298-5699.

I have no association with the Waite Group, Howard W. Sams & Company,
or Macmillan, Inc. other than as a satisfied customer.  I strongly
recommend this book.  Should be available in any good retail bookstore.
--
David R. Conrad     dave@tygra.ddmi.com     uunet!tygra!dave
"Just when you least expect it, something unexpected happens."