the dictionary in electronic form under certain agreement.
From: zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou)

peters@yang.earlham.edu (12/17/90)

In article <25272@adm.brl.mil>, 00125425%YSUB.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu writes:
> Can anyone please tell me where I can find a dictionary of English words?
> In saying 'dictionary' all I realy need is a large list of properly spelled
> words.  It must be in ASCII format(text), and anonymous FTP would work best
> for me.

Public Brand Software in Indianapolis sells two such 'dictionaries', one
large and one small.  The small one contains 60,000 words; the disk is
number RD2.1.  The large one contains 233,622 words on three disks, numbered
RD1a.3 - RD1c.3.  The large dictionary forms a 2.7 Mbyte ASCII file; the
words are in alphabetical order, one per line, in lower case.  Both
dictionaries are shareware.  Expect to pay Public Brand Software $5 per disk,
plus $5 shipping, and the author's shareware registration fee.

Contract Public Brand Software at 1-800-426-DISK; in Indiana 1-800-727-3476;
and in Indianapolis 317-856-7571.

Good luck.

Peter Suber, Depts. of Philosophy, Computer Science; Earlham College,
Richmond, Indiana  47374.  317-983-1214.  peters@earlham.bitnet.

MRH100S@ODUVM.BITNET (12/20/90)

I have recently downloaded several spell checkers from SIMTEL20, and
they have word lists in them, in ASCII format.

Look in PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL> for:

CSPELLA.ARC
CSPELLSRC.ARC
EZSPELL.ARC
LSPELLA.ARC
LSPELLSRC.ARC
SPEL204.ARC
SPELLR20.ARC
TSPELL23.ZIP

You may want to merge these files together, as some words are in one and
not in the other.

Also, note that some derived forms of words are left out (for example,
"ache" might be in the dictionary, but "aches" and "ached" might not).
So caveat your emptor when using the lists: there may be gaping holes.

Hope this helps!!
Matt                                All opinions have been cut from my
mrh100s@oduvm.bitnet                employer's budget, so they must be mine.
mrh100s@oduvm.cc.odu.edu