[comp.lang.pascal] Possible TD2.01,TP6.0 Bugs

neuhaus@exunido.uucp (Jan Neuhaus) (12/19/90)

On Tuesday the german version of Turbo Pascal Professional Version
6.0 arrived. After installing it on my 386er PC-Clone and trying to
recompile the projects I am working on I discovererd several
problems. They presits even when I startet the system with no other
goodies than TD386.SYS, BUFFERS=13, FILES=20 and MSDOS3.3.

I) The integrated compiler hangs while making a project that has
been compiled successfully with Tp5.5. The reason was an .OBJ that
has been produced with TASM 1.0.  Reassembling with TASM 2.01 solved
this one.

II) Most of the compiled programs hanged. They all used overlays and
where more than 32000 lines large with several units. They all
worked fine with TP5.5. The debugger discoverd an endless loop in a
part of the overlaymananger, or a jump to an illegal code segment
when a routine in an overlay was called, or the whole system
(including the debugger) hangs.

III) The debugger is unable to assemble simple statements in the
CPU-View.  'MOV AX,100' produceses an 'Illegal Operand' or even some
wrong code.

IV) Iff You try to view the dump of the Jump-Table with CTRL-G and
the entry of the adress, this adress is changed by the debugger to
some other place.  This only happens with programs that use
overlays. Sometime one gets an 'Overlay not loaded' error.

I have phoned Borland germany and already sended them some examples, but
they told me that they need programs and environment thats produce the
described errors.

So here is my request: Iff You have the same problems with smaller
programs, send them to Borland or drop me a note (please not the
whole program, because mail is expensive around here). They promised
to fix every reproducable error.

Disclaimer: This is my stuff - is has nothing to do with UniDo
Jan Neuhaus, Gr"une Str. 5, 4600 Dortmund 1, GERMANY
E-mail  : neuhaus@sparta.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
BITNET	: neuhaus@unido.bitnet (may disappear soon)
Jan Neuhaus, Gr"une Str. 5, 4600 Dortmund 1, GERMANY
E-mail	: neuhaus@exunido.uucp (...uunet!unido!exunido!neuhaus)
        : neuhaus@sparta.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
BITNET	: neuhaus@unido.bitnet (may disappear soon)
Voice   : +49 (2 31) 82 29 52

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (12/20/90)

In <2874@laura.UUCP>, neuhaus@exunido.uucp (Jan Neuhaus) mentions problems with
Turbo Pascal 6.0 and writes:

>II) Most of the compiled programs hanged. They all used overlays and
>where more than 32000 lines large with several units. They all
>worked fine with TP5.5. The debugger discoverd an endless loop in a
>part of the overlaymananger, or a jump to an illegal code segment
>when a routine in an overlay was called, or the whole system
>(including the debugger) hangs.

I have run into this same problem.  A large program of mine (about 19000 lines)
which ran just fine under versions of TP up to 5.0 hangs or gets nonsense
errors when compiled with TP 6.0.  The problem seems related to overlays.  When
I compile the program without overlays it runs just fine.

If anyone else has had this problem, please let us and Borland know.  (And if
there's a solution, that would be nice to know about also :-).

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum  |
Brigham Young University              |  Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602            |  Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu