[comp.lang.pascal] TP under Windows 3.0

chaudhury@physics.ucla.edu (CHAUDHURY, SHILADITYA) (12/20/90)

A couple of months ago I went to a demonstration of some Physics educational
software that was partially running under Windows 3.0 and was told that
Borland had promised that developer a version of TP running under Windows.
I saw the icon for it : the letters "TP" on top of a hot red sports car.
This together with Andreas's report from the German magazine and someone
on the net who called Borland and mentioned TP for Windows seems to indicate:

---> Yes, there will be a TP for Windows?

Are all the Windows 3.0 haters going to boycott this list if that happens?
I would like to be able to program Win 3.0 apps without giving up my
favourite language...

--Raj Chaudhury
UCLA Solid State

nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (12/21/90)

In article <25310@adm.brl.mil> chaudhury@physics.ucla.edu (CHAUDHURY, SHILADITYA) writes:

[Part deleted]
>---> Yes, there will be a TP for Windows?
>
>Are all the Windows 3.0 haters going to boycott this list if that happens?
>I would like to be able to program Win 3.0 apps without giving up my
>favourite language...
>
>--Raj Chaudhury
>UCLA Solid State

While not a fan of Windows (I prefer DesqView), I am glad to
learn that TP will run under Windows.

I hope that (a) Windows will not be the only OTHER environment
under which TP will run, that is I would like to see a version
of TP under SunTools, Xwindows, OpenLook and Next (I boycott Apple)
and (b) that a program written with Turbo Vision will run
without modofication under any one of these platforms (modulo
assembly code).

How's about that for a Vision ?

:)

--Naji
--
         ---------------+-------------------------------------------
        | Naji Mouawad  |      nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu        |

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.190116.18951@watmath.waterloo.edu> nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) writes:

>While not a fan of Windows (I prefer DesqView), I am glad to
>learn that TP will run under Windows.
>
>I hope that (a) Windows will not be the only OTHER environment
>under which TP will run, that is I would like to see a version
>of TP under SunTools, Xwindows, OpenLook and Next (I boycott Apple)
>and (b) that a program written with Turbo Vision will run
>without modofication under any one of these platforms (modulo
>assembly code).

While I'd like to see that too, I think the chances of Borland ever porting
TP to *any* Unix environment are just about nil.  There just wouldn't be
enough market for it to be worthwhile - C has too much of a stranglehold
on a market that's small to start with.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (12/21/90)

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>While I'd like to see that too, I think the chances of Borland ever porting
>TP to *any* Unix environment are just about nil.  There just wouldn't be
>enough market for it to be worthwhile - C has too much of a stranglehold
>on a market that's small to start with.

Hmmmmm...where are all those TP programmers going to go as their
career evolves?  Some, no doubt, to the unix world, and an environment
like Borland's on a unix box would be dynamite (read:  a LOT easier to
use) compared to the mish-mash of unix tools available.  I don't
expect it to happen, probably will happen after OS/2 (-: 3,4,5? :-)
Sure would be an improvement!

--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <> bgeer%javelin@dsd.es.com...dsd.es.com!javelin!bgeer <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>