[comp.lang.pascal] CAN .BGI AND .CHR FILES BE FREELY DISTRIBUTED?

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (12/23/90)

No, as long as what your are selling is not made up mostly of their
files.  You can find that info in the licese agreement of the BGIKIT
and probably the TP one as well...
Rob

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) (12/23/90)

	Here is a question: when I distribute a program along with
necessary .BGI and .CHR files, do I need to get permission from
Borland company?

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/23/90)

In article <11626@j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes:

>	Here is a question: when I distribute a program along with
>necessary .BGI and .CHR files, do I need to get permission from
>Borland company?

A RTFM if there ever was one.  Take a look at the License Statement
at the very beginning of your manual.  (In TP 4.0 manual it is the
very first thing inside the cover, and probably so in the other
versions, as well).  It's all there plain and clear!

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

einstein@cs.mcgill.ca (Michael CHOWET) (12/28/90)

writes:

>	Here is a question: when I distribute a program along with
>necessary .BGI and .CHR files, do I need to get permission from
>Borland company?

  No. The license agreement that one finds on the inside cover of the manual
states:

"...These files, which can be listed by typing DIR *.BGI and DIR *.CHR, are
propietary to Borlnd International. You may use these files with the programs
you create with Turbo Pascal for your own personal use. In addition, to the
extent the programs you write and compile using the Turbo Psacal language
compiler make use of these support files, you may distribute these support
files in combination with such programs, provided you do not use, give away,
or sell the support files separately."

  Answer it?
Today's message was brought to you by the letter 'S', the number 6, and

  		    =====> Einstein@cs.mcgill.ca  <====