[comp.lang.pascal] A trouble on upgrading TPU files to new version

BILHGOK%TREARN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Hakan Gokmen) (12/21/90)

 Hello Subscribers ,

 I encountered a problem concerned Turbo-Pascal TPU files ..
 As you know , it is neccessary to upgrade old tpu files to new format
when you want to use a tpu file compiled by Turbo Pascal 4.x or 5.0
in Turbo Pascal 5.5 version . I tried to upgrade a old version of tpu file
of Turbo Pascal by following command under MS-Dos.

 c:>upgrade window.tpu

 This command is enough to upgrade a tpu file . But when i used the
tpu file recreated by upgrade command in Turbo Pascal 5.5  , anyway ,
the compiler gave an error message like that " Unit Format ERROR " .
i know  that something is missing or wrong  . But i couldn't find
the reason of error .  I don't have the source code of Window.TPU
that was tried to upgrade. If i had  the source of the tpu file ,
 there wouldn't be any problem ..

  Any help on this subject would be appriciated !!!

  Thanks in advance ....

  Hakan Gokmen .

granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) (12/22/90)

In article <25330@adm.brl.mil>, BILHGOK%TREARN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Hakan Gokmen) writes:

> c:>upgrade window.tpu

The UPGRADE program is intended to be used on Pascal source files, not .TPU
files.  The only way to upgrade a .TPU file is to recompile from source.

UPGRADE was distributed with TP4 to help people convert their V3 Pascal to V4.
The main reason behind this was that TP4 implemented units, which among other
things, had built-in to them functions and procedures that people had built on
their own under V3 (directory reading & interrupt stuff comes to mind).

So, without the source for your .TPU file, you are out of luck.  Sorry.

For what it's worth, at the TP6 announcement I asked Borland is they had any
plans to standardize or make backward compatible the .TPU file format.  They
said no, citing that with each new version of TP, the SYSTEM unit changes
anyway.  Since every unit uses the SYSTEM unit (indirectly or otherwise), you'd
have to recompile anyway, regardless of any compatability or lack there of.

Mark H. Granoff   |    Enterprise Integration Services/Engineering VAXworks
Digital Equipment Corporation | ARPAnet: granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com
129 Parker Street             | Usenet : ...!decwrl!vaxwrk.dec.com!granoff
PKO2-1/M21                    | AT&T   : +1 508 493 4512
Maynard, MA 01754             | FAX    : +1 508 493 2240
Opinions herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Digital.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/22/90)

In article <18449@shlump.nac.dec.com> granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) writes:
... part deleted ...
>For what it's worth, at the TP6 announcement I asked Borland is they had any
>plans to standardize or make backward compatible the .TPU file format.  They
>said no, citing that with each new version of TP, the SYSTEM unit changes
>anyway.  Since every unit uses the SYSTEM unit (indirectly or otherwise), you'd
>have to recompile anyway, regardless of any compatability or lack there of.
... rest deleted ...

Mark did the right thing in asking.  This incompatibility always
gets me on my high horse about Borland's updgrade policy, which I
see as a blemish in their othervise excellent product.  I'm in the
fortunate position of having my employer buy all the upgrades of TP
to me, so I have 3.02a, 4.0 (this I bought myself), 5.0, 5.5, and
6.0 is on its way.  Nevertheless, I have opted to stay at 5.0 for
the time being!

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Alan David Mead) (12/31/90)

BILHGOK%TREARN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Hakan Gokmen) writes:

> Hello Subscribers ,
> c:>upgrade window.tpu

Yes, sadly units aren't compatible (thus you should always try to get
the source code).

But as to the specific problem, am I the only one who has used the WIN
unit included in TP 4.0 and 5.5 (and presumably in TP5.0 but I'd guess
not in 6.0)?  It is included in the examples (I think) directory as
source (for a unit and it's assembler primitives) alone with a rather
hansome demo program.  It is relatively undocumented, but as good as
others I've seen (which, BTW are numerous--check U of Vassa, Simtel, or
Wash U).

-alan mead : mead@s.psych.uiuc.edu
--
Alan Mead : mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

dslg0849@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Daniel S. Lewart) (12/31/90)

mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Alan David Mead) writes:

> But as to the specific problem, am I the only one who has used the WIN
> unit included in TP 4.0 and 5.5 (and presumably in TP5.0 but I'd guess
> not in 6.0)?  It is included in the examples (I think) directory as
> source (for a unit and it's assembler primitives) alone with a rather
> hansome demo program.  It is relatively undocumented, but as good as
> others I've seen (which, BTW are numerous--check U of Vassa, Simtel, or
> Wash U).

No, I use WIN and I think it's great, especially since it gives me 99% flicker-
free fast direct video writes on my ATT 6300.  It is still included in TP6.0;
it is buried on the BGI/UTILITIES disk in DEMOS.ZIP.

Daniel Lewart
d-lewart@uiuc.edu