[comp.lang.pascal] Macintosh Pascal

sbarnhar%MAILBOX.MAIL.UMN.EDU@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Shawn Barnhart) (01/04/91)

I'd be interested in a dialogue with someone experienced in creating
applications with THINK Pascal for the Macintosh.  I recently purchased
THIUNK Pascal for the Mac, and find the task of creating even a simple
application more difficult than completing a 64 ring game of Towers of
Hanoi.  I know that the prospective programmer is supposed to also
be the proud (and much poorer!) owner of the VII volume set of
_Inside Macintosh_, but before I make that $150 investment I'd be interested
in hearing from anyone with any experience writing standalone applications
for the Mac.  Nothing complicated, mind you, just simple things like
creating a text window, fonts, clock interface, menus, the usual "application"
things.
Specifically, is it worth the effort?  I still have about a week and a half
to get a refund for my Pascal system, but the idea of being able to
create applications is quite tempting, and since I seem to have a lot of
time on my hands, it would be nice.  If you personally don't know,
but think you might know someone who would be able to offer their
$.02 worth, please mail me their email address..

And besides, if I ever DO get this kind of thing mastered, think of the
anagram generator I'd be able to make!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Shawn Barnhart  sbarnhar@mailbox.mail.umn.edu                               |

"What is virtue but the Trade Unionism of the married?" -George Bernard Shaw|

eldred@rrunner.jpl.nasa.gov (Dan Eldred) (01/05/91)

In article <25387@adm.brl.mil> sbarnhar%MAILBOX.MAIL.UMN.EDU@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Shawn Barnhart) writes:
>I'd be interested in a dialogue with someone experienced in creating
>applications with THINK Pascal for the Macintosh.  I recently purchased
>THIUNK Pascal for the Mac, and find the task of creating even a simple
>application more difficult than completing a 64 ring game of Towers of
>Hanoi.  I know that the prospective programmer is supposed to also

[stuff deleted ... ]

I hate to recommend yet another software purchase, but you might try out
Microsoft QuickBasic.  Using QuickBasic it is very easy to create very
professional looking applications which use menus, dialog boxes and the
mouse, with far fewer statements than in THINK Pascal or C.  Also I find
the interpreter to be very conducive to program development;  when the
program works properly you can then compile it for greater speed.  As I
recall, cost is about $64, mail-order.  Another benefit is that many of
the Mac toolbox routines are accessible from QuickBasic, so you can play
with them from the interpreter to figure out how they work.  I also own
THINK Pascal and C but frankly I prefer QuickBasic where I can get away
with using it, which is most of the time.

				--Dan

		--Dan Eldred		eldred@csi.jpl.nasa.gov