[comp.lang.pascal] pascal GIF viewer

mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Alan David Mead) (01/05/91)

I've seen several users ask about source for displaying GIFF files.
This was recently posted to comp.binaries.ibm.msdos.d:
From: gersic@ACS.NIU.EDU (David Gersic)
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Subject: New msdos files uploaded to SIMTEL20
Date: 19 Dec 90 04:56:07 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.gif>
GIF-CSRC.ZIP	C source code for a GIF decoder
GIF-DOC.ZIP	Text files on the new and old GIF formats
		(from CompuServe) and on GIF compression algorthm
GIF-PAS.ZIP	Pascal source code for a GIF viewer
GIFSRC.ZIP	Pascal and 8086 assembler source for a GIF viewer

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
GCD_100.ZIP	Change directories with the cursor keys, mouse,
		or with speed search for a partial path. graphical,
		and very fast.

			      => David <=
So, I'm going to try and grab the files tonight.

-alan

--
Alan Mead : mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) (01/06/91)

Since people use different languages on different machines with different
monitor/terminal, I think the best way is not to write a viewer program,
but to explain in a few words how image is encoded in GIFF files. Then
one can write a view/decoder in any specific environment.

Personally I would like to see somebody on the net who knows about GIFF
format to take a few minutes and do the job, since I too have interest in
making .GIF files available to Pascal program.

By the way, I've been trying to locate a book discussing formats of various
image files (GIF, PCX, PIC, etc) without success. If anyone knows such a
book, please post its author, title, etc.

dave@tygra.ddmi.com (David Conrad) (01/06/91)

In article <11652@j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes:
>Since people use different languages on different machines with different
>monitor/terminal, I think the best way is not to write a viewer program,
>but to explain in a few words how image is encoded in GIFF [sic] files. Then
>one can write a view/decoder in any specific environment.

That should be `GIF files'.
Look for the following at WSMR-SIMTEL20:

PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
GIF.ARC      B    52,853 26Feb88 Interchange graphics formats
GIF89A.ZIP   B    22,805 15Nov90 Specifications of GIF89A standard from CIS
GIFDECOD.GIF B     6,912 15Jan89 GIF drawing explains decoding of GIFs
GIFDOC.ARC   B    89,706 01Aug88 Specification of GIF standard from CompuServe
GIFENCOD.GIF B     8,320 15Jan89 GIF drawing explains encoding of GIFs
--
David R. Conrad	    | "The good book says it's better to give than to receive,
dave@tygra.ddmi.com |	I do my best to do my part.

caser@mbf.UUCP (Randy Case) (01/08/91)

In article <11652@j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes:

>By the way, I've been trying to locate a book discussing formats of various
>image files (GIF, PCX, PIC, etc) without success. If anyone knows such a
>book, please post its author, title, etc.

There is a book called:

	  The Book of Bitmapped Graphics
	  by Steven William Rimmer
	  Published by: TAB Books   TAB Book #: 3558

	  It ws supposed to be released in August 1990. I have not seen or read the
	  book.

	  Randy Case
	   .

If you look like your passport photo,                    | Randy S. Case
          you are too ill to travel...                   | MAI Systems Corp.
                                                         | Tustin, Ca.
           uunet!ccicpg!mbf!caser                        | (714) 730-2328