[comp.lang.pascal] INDEX15 - update to indexed files unit

C0361@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu ( Thomas Jenkins) (01/11/91)

Hello one and all!

  I've got an update for those of you using my indexed file unit.  The new
unit includes ( finally ) a delete procedure!  Also, I've removed the
temporary index file and just make direct inserts ( or deletes ) to it.  This
GREATLY increases the speed of WriteIndexed.  Also included is the same
encryption unit and a new one as well.  The new unit, Files, only has one
purpose in life - To insert/delete records of any size to/from files.  There
is a READ.ME file in the ZIP file that explains the use of the units and each
PROCEDURE, FUNCTION, TYPE and VARIABLE.  There are also four example programs
included to show ( VERY simply ) how to use the UNITs.

If there is enough interest ( more than 10 requests ) I'll post the XXEncoded
ZIP file to the net ( it's only 15K ZIPed - about 64K unZIPed ).  If anyone
out there would like to place these files at some FTP sites, I'd be greatful.
Last time I spent two weeks sending out files to people from some lists I
don't even subscribe to!

tom

THOMAS E. JENKINS, JR.                +--------+  FROM SHOE  +--------+
                                      |"IS THE COMPUTER STILL GIVING  |
PROGRAMMER,                           | YOU TROUBLE?..."              |
  UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA        |"NO, NOT ANYMORE..."           |
  C0361 AT UNIVSCVM.BITNET            |"WHAT DID YOU DO?..."          |
  C0361 AT UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU |" I TURNED IT OFF."            |
                                      +-------------------------------+

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/11/91)

In article <25468@adm.brl.mil> C0361@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu ( Thomas Jenkins) writes:

>If there is enough interest ( more than 10 requests ) I'll post the XXEncoded
>ZIP file to the net ( it's only 15K ZIPed - about 64K unZIPed ).  If anyone

NO DON'T!

>out there would like to place these files at some FTP sites, I'd be greatful.
>Last time I spent two weeks sending out files to people from some lists I
>don't even subscribe to!

Your submission is welcome to uwasa.fi archives.  See the last item
below.  But please also consider the ones in between.

12. *****
 Q: May just go ahead and I post binaries in non-moderated groups?

 A: I would strongly advise against it.  On top of that I seem to
recall that the net rules don't like it (news.announce.newusers has
more information), let's look at this from a purely practical point
of view. If netters start posting binaries, several problems will
soon occur:
    1) The traffic will explode, since it is bound to be more or
       less haphazard. This is bound to invoke action sooner or
       later from the systems along the feed and/or net
       administration.
    2) There are no guarantees against trojans and other nasties.
       (This does not mean that the other methods are absolutely
       safe, but the likelihood is smaller by far.)
    3) The probability of commercial material being posted over the
       net increases, with all the consequent repercussions.
    4) The idea is very wasteful of net resources. Remember that
       there are over 50000 readers in eg comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.
       Much better to put/get stuff into/from the orderly moderated
       groups, or use anonymous ftp, mail servers, or good BBSes.

11. *****
 Q: How do I submit my PC program to the binaries?

 A: There is a periodic posting in comp.binaries.ibm.pc which
answers all your necessary questions. If you don't want to wait for
it to come round, you can download it from uwasa.fi as
/pc/pd2/submbin.arc.

10. *****
 Q: I have made some programs myself which I think might be of
general interest.  (Or I have obtained these programs that I think
would be of particular interest).  Would it be possible to upload
them to your system.

 A: Yes, we are certainly interested in all quality programs.  (A
proper documentation is one of the prerequisites).
   There are two alternatives in sending your package to us.  You
can send your (.arc, .lzh, .zip, or .zoo) package uuencoded to me,
or to my fellow moderator Harri Valkama (hv@chyde.uwasa.fi).  If it
is a multi-part posting it would be convenient (but not absolutely
necessary) to use the same begin-end system as comp.binaries.ibm.pc
uses for binary postings.  If you are sending an update, I would
recommend that you make the version number a part of your package
name.  For example, I use the following format, tsutil30.arc and so
on, in my own packages.
   The second method is using ftp to put your package directly to
our /incoming directory.  If you use this alternative, contact Harri
Valkama hv@chyde.uwasa.fi informing him about your upload.  I don't
poll the /incoming directory.  If you need more information on this
second alternative, please ask Harri.
   Please note that if you are sending someone else's (standard)
programs, the latter alternative is strongly preferred, since it
causes less work.  The use of the former alternative is more
relevant if you are submitting your own program for evaluation and
potential inclusion.  The choice is yours, of course, but these are
my preferences.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)