[comp.lang.pascal] stopwatch

EKSTROM%uhavax.decnet@uhasun.hartford.edu (01/10/91)

   I am looking to get/write a program in Pascal that will act as a
stopwatch.  The problem is that I would like it to be memory resident (ie: it
should be able to run in the background while another program is running).
What I am doing is developing a lap counting system for radio-controlled cars.
The races are 5 minutes in length and I want to be able to run my lap counting
program and have this stopwatch displayed on the screen.  When the stopwatch
reaches 5 minutes, I would like to have a buzzer go off, signaling the end of
the race.  I would like a keystroke (<Return> key) to start and stop the
watch also.  If anyone out there can direct me to a place to find this type
of program or cna give a few hints on how to do it, I would greatly appreciate
it.  Please e-mail me directly as I am not a subscriber to this list.

David Ekstrom
University of Hartford
Computer Services
Ekstrom@Hartford
Ekstrom%uhavax.decnet@uhasun.hartford.edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/11/91)

In article <25457@adm.brl.mil> EKSTROM%uhavax.decnet@uhasun.hartford.edu writes:

>   I am looking to get/write a program in Pascal that will act as a
>stopwatch.  The problem is that I would like it to be memory resident (ie: it
>should be able to run in the background while another program is running).
>What I am doing is developing a lap counting system for radio-controlled cars.
>The races are 5 minutes in length and I want to be able to run my lap counting
>program and have this stopwatch displayed on the screen.  When the stopwatch
>reaches 5 minutes, I would like to have a buzzer go off, signaling the end of
:

Quite a coincidence.  I have been experimenting with writing tsr
clock programs and this is something I might well consider.  The
problem is, though, that it will only work in the text mode.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (01/16/91)

I find it interesting to read this request.  Late last week, about the time
this "stopwatch" request was written", and I begun thinking about my need
for a "countdown" timer as a TSR, though I have never written a TSR and
know not where to begin.  But I could probably leverage off the "stopwatch"
code.  It would be okay to work in text mode only.  My concept is that a
time could be set (e.g. 20 minutes) and when it reached 0 either a buzzer
would sound and/or the screen would flash (silent mode) for several seconds.
The countdown could be easily stopped (e.g. ALT-S), started (e.g. ALT-S),
and reset (e.g. ALT-R).  My immediate need is to break my concentration
on the screen, and take a (stretch/visual) break.  (I am having vision/
health problems because of the time spent at the computer, but when I
get involved I lose track of time and forget to stretch my eyes and muscles.)
I would appreciate help/pointers.  Thank you.