[comp.lang.pascal] Summary of Seek ELIZA-liked Source Codes!!!

lchen@cs.ubc.ca (Lee Li-Jen Chen) (02/05/91)

Hi, about one week ago, I wrote:

>I am looking for some source codes that converse with the user, such
>as ELIZA or DOCTOR. QuickBasic and Pascal codes are prefered (P.S. I try to
>avoid Lisp and Prolog as much as possible.)
>
> .... [Deleted] ....

Since then, I have received many helpful e-mails. Thank you very much to
eveyone whom replied my posting, I really appreciate your help!

There is a brief summary of what I have received:

P.S. Thanks, Maupie!!!

Lee 1991 03 05

-------------------------SUMMARY HERE---------------------------------

From:        <tanel@ioc.ew.su>

A good Eliza-clone LISP-source is included with the
muLISP-87. It runs in MS-DOS environment and is
produced by Soft Warehouse (Honolulu).

Regards,
	Tanel Tammet

Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Hi,
A source (in C64 BASIC) for ELIZA is Compute!'s Gazette, June 1984.
Hope it helps...
Bill

Wm A Jones <WJONES@USMCP6.BITNET>

From:        <raymond@math.berkeley.edu>

`doctor' comes with emacs.  You can find `eliza' in BASIC in `101 more
computer games', edited by David Ahl, published by Creative Computing.

From:       <Marc.Ringuette@DAISY.LEARNING.CS.CMU.EDU>

Julia (a.k.a. Colin) is a robot which interacts with people in the
multi-user game TinyMUD.  Try anonymous ftp from nl.cs.cmu.edu,
in directory /usr/mlm/ftp.  The README file and robot.tar.Z are
most relevant.  The code is in C for Unix workstations.  For more
on the game, check out rec.games.mud.

From: davlo@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (David Lo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc

The book "More BASIC computer games", edited by David Ahl, has the BASIC
listing to ELIZA. It might be a bit hard to find though, as the book is
probably out of print.  Other non-academic books about AI on microcomputers
tend to have versions of Eliza as well.

From: kurzi@netmbx.UUCP (Dieterich)
Newsgroups: comp.ai

In

  Herbert Schildt "Artificial Intelligence using C"
  McGraw-Hill

you will find several simple versions of DOCTOR.

From:       <pro-graphics.cts.com!dr.warren@watmath.uucp>

   I've got Eliza in BASIC, although at the moment I forget whether it's
GWBASIC for my IBM-clone, or Atari BASIC on my old 8-bit Atari 800XL.
Shouldn't really matter, BASIC is BASIC basically (no pun intended!).
If you don't find another source, I could mail you a print-out.

From:       Maupie de Laat <S89406043@HSEPM1.HSE.NL>

Hi Lee!

A very good friend of my saw your request and mailed it to me, because he
knows of my project of Suzanne.

I also posted a message that I was looking for a good Eliza a year ago.
I got a few responses, most of them were people who wanted Eliza to, but
one of them had a source of it in BASIC. It was a very nice one.

I asked for it because I wanted to build an Eliza in our Relay-system. And
it works now! I transleted the source to standard-Pascal, and called it
Suzanne. I'm still working on it, because it can be more and more better,
but it works. Suzanne goes to a private channel on relay (I assume you know
the relay-program). Whenever someone sents a message to her or when someone
invites her, she sends an invitation back. When the user comes to the right
channel, the chat starts.

.... [Deleted] ....

Maupie.