[comp.lang.pascal] Sound compression

Robert_Salesas@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (02/12/91)

You might want to try the fibonici delta method of compression.  Its a
lossy method but gives good results on sampled data.  Check the Amiga
areas for info as it is used in the IFF 8SVX standard.
Rob

sbarnhar%MAILBOX.MAIL.UMN.EDU@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Shawn Barnhart) (02/13/91)

I don't know much about digitized sound or compression algorithms, but my
guess is that sound compression involves sampling the sampled sound.
IE, say you sample a sound at 22 Khz and you want to compress it.  Wouldn't
you just sample the sample?  Of course this means that you can't go back
to the original sample rate.  Maybe you could save the information that
you don't sample from the sample and try to compress that using the standard
compression utilities/algorithms (Lempl-Ziv, Huffman, et al).  I've never
tried, so your mileage may vary.

There are (supposedly) "advanced" compression utilities for the Mac that can
obtain 20-30% compression of digitized sound (as opposed to resampling).
I don't know what algorithms they may use, though. I imagine they are
proprietary versions of some of the more standard algorithms.
-Shawn

00csgunn@bsu-ucs.uucp (II INFINATUM) (02/13/91)

In article <25947@adm.brl.mil>, sbarnhar%MAILBOX.MAIL.UMN.EDU@uga.cc.uga.edu
 (Shawn Barnhart) writes:

> There are (supposedly) "advanced" compression utilities for the Mac that can
> obtain 20-30% compression of digitized sound (as opposed to resampling).
> I don't know what algorithms they may use, though. I imagine they are
> proprietary versions of some of the more standard algorithms.
> -Shawn

The routines used to compress digitized sound flies on the Mac, and the Apple
IIgs for that matter, use a rather weird compression algorythm. They look
at the sound as that... Sound. And predict what the next few bytes of the
waveform will look like. If the prediction is right, then the data can
be compressed. Im know this is rather vague, but this is how it was
described to me. There is also another compression on the IIgs that gives
either 3:8 or 4:8 compression. Im not really sure how that works either.

Hope this helps.

Steve Gunn                 Internet --> hangtime@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
The Indiana Academy                     00csgunn@bsu-ucs.bsu.edu
Ball State University      UUCP --> {BackBones}!iuvax!bsu-cs!hangtime
Muncie, IN  47306-0655              {BackBones}!iuvax!bsu-cs!bsu-ucs!00csgunn