[comp.lang.pascal] Help: 19200 Baud Communications drivers needed

cs442a07@cs.iastate.edu (Sunny G) (02/18/91)

Help!  I need to do some communications software programming.  The speed
involved is 19200 baud.  I tried out most of the units available at simtel
but although most of them work at 9600, they barfed at 19200.  One of them
hinted that a person had to changed strategy at 19200 (as in, something
was not fast enough to run at such and such an interrupt level)

If anybody could point me towards the right routines, or explain how to get
this done, please PLEASE contact me!!!!

-------------
Sunjeev "Sunny" Gulati
cs442a07@zippy.cs.iastate.edu
cs442a07@zaphod.cs.iastate.edu

Note: I dont know if my Reply-To: field is working... inform me please.

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (02/19/91)

In article <cs442a07.666822864@zippy> cs442a07@zippy.cs.iastate.edu writes:
>Help!  I need to do some communications software programming.  The speed
>involved is 19200 baud.  I tried out most of the units available at simtel

You can get 19200 baud using a FOSSIL driver.  I've written a TP unit to
interface a FOSSIL driver if you're interested and it does work at 19200.
You can get a FOSSIL driver from simtel, wuarchive, etc.  If you want the
TP unit drop me a line and I'll e-mail you a copy.

--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

gbastin@x102c.harris-atd.com (Gary Bastin 60293) (02/19/91)

In article <22293@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
>>Help!  I need to do some communications software programming.  The speed
>>involved is 19200 baud.  I tried out most of the units available at simtel
>
>You can get 19200 baud using a FOSSIL driver.

Can someone explain just what a FOSSIL driver is?  Is this some kind of
TSR written in Assembly, or what?  I have seen mention of this before,
and never have figured out just what it referred to exactly. Are there
different kind of FOSSIL drivers?  Why the name FOSSIL?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Gary Bastin, WB4YAF      /-/-/      Internet: gbastin@x102c.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4826         |        phone: (407) 729-3045
Harris Corporation GASD    |
P.O.B. 94000, Melbourne FL 32902    Speaking from, but not for, Harris!

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (02/20/91)

In article <5550@trantor.harris-atd.com> gbastin@x102c.ess.harris.com (Gary Bastin 60293) writes:

>Can someone explain just what a FOSSIL driver is?  Is this some kind of
>TSR written in Assembly, or what?  I have seen mention of this before,
>and never have figured out just what it referred to exactly. Are there
>different kind of FOSSIL drivers?  Why the name FOSSIL?

A FOSSIL driver is a TSR or device driver that you load to replace the BIOS
serial routines.  It provides interrupt driven serial I/O at rates up to
38400 baud.  They also support the FIFO capabilities of the more advanced
serial chips.  There are different drivers for different computers.  This
was a feature for many of the early clones that weren't 100% IBM compatible,
though the use of the FOSSIL driver, BBS software developers could maintain
a consistant interface to the low level hardware and still port their code
from platform to platform (DEC Rainbows, Tandy computers, TI Prof, etc. are
examples of old clones that were almost IBM compatible).

If you want more info I'd suggest looking at the files on simtel20.army.mil
in the directory PD1:<MSDOS.FOSSIL>

Oh, BTW it stands for _Fido/Opus/Seadog_Software_Interface_Library_  (or
something like that :-)