[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo Pascal and Quarterdeck or TurboPower Professional

yackob@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Kerry Yackoboski) (02/23/91)

	I use Turbo Pascal 5.5 on a 386, with 4M of EMS and XMS.  I'd
love to be able to write arrays and pointers, etc., in the extra memory,
but I'm leery about writing my own routines to manage the memory past
1 Meg.  Can anyone recommend any third party packages that will enable me
to access this higher memory with minimal hassle?
	I've heard about QuarterDeck, but I've never really seen it
explained.  Any experience with this?  Is this what I want?
	What about something called TurboPower Softwares' Turbo Professional?
I hear that it features procedures to create arrays either on disk or in
EMS.  This sounds like what I want (especially if source is included),
but nobody around here has heard about it.  Any comments?  Is this an
accurate assessment of what it does?  What might I expect this to cost?

	Email or post is fine - thanks for your advice, Kerry.

--
Kerry Yackoboski 	<yackob@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca>
The Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Laboratory in the Cellar

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) (02/23/91)

yackob@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Kerry Yackoboski) writes:

>	I use Turbo Pascal 5.5 on a 386, with 4M of EMS and XMS.  I'd
>love to be able to write arrays and pointers, etc., in the extra memory,
>but I'm leery about writing my own routines to manage the memory past
>1 Meg.  Can anyone recommend any third party packages that will enable me
>to access this higher memory with minimal hassle?
>	I've heard about QuarterDeck, but I've never really seen it
>explained.  Any experience with this?  Is this what I want?

	Upgrade to Turbo Pascal 6.0 W/Turbo Vision.  It contains all the
EMS library routines you seek for reaching out into the world.

	Craig