[comp.lang.pascal] Advice on distributing utilities

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (02/25/91)

:
>that is OK. I am a new user of NEWS, and not aware of how
>code is normally interchanged.       THANKYOU !!!

   Here are some extracts from information files which should be of
use in your question.  The first is from /pc/pd2/pd2ans025.txt, and
the last two from /pc/ts/tsfaq17.arc.  They are related to what is
called anonymous ftp, a system of downloading pograms within UseNet
somewhat alike downloading from BBSes.
   Of course there is the alternative of entering into email
contacts with other users, but there is no organized system for
that.
   Finally, follow the comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d newsgroup for awhile
to see a third distribution system called binary postings.
   If you want to know more about anonymous ftp, you are welcome to
email me for the prerecorded instructions.

10. *****
 Q: I have made some programs myself which I think might be of
general interest.  Or I have obtained this fabulous program which I
think would be of general interest.  Would it be possible to upload
them to your system.

 A: Yes, we are certainly interested in all quality programs.  (A
proper documentation is one of the prerequisites.  The program and
the documentation must be in English).
   There are two alternatives in sending your package to us.  You
can send your (.arc, .lzh, .zip, or .zoo) package uuencoded to me,
or to my fellow moderator Harri Valkama (hv@garbo.uwasa.fi).  If it
is a multi-part posting it would be convenient (but not absolutely
necessary) to use the same begin-end system as comp.binaries.ibm.pc
uses for binary postings.  If you are sending an update, I would
recommend that you make the version number a part of your package
name.  (In fact I'd like to insist).  For example, I use the
following format, tsutil30.arc and so on, in my own packages.
   The second method is using ftp to put your package directly to
one of our incoming directories.  The relevant ftp commands after
connecting are eg cd /pc/incoming, binary (if not an ordinary ascii
file), put YourFile.  If you use this alternative, please contact
Harri Valkama hv@garbo.uwasa.fi informing him about your upload.
I don't poll the incoming directories on a regular basis.
   When you inform Harri of your upload, please let me have a carbon
copy of your message for my information.
   Please note that if you are sending someone else's standard
programs, the latter alternative is strongly preferred, since it
causes less work.  The use of the former alternative is more
relevant if you are submitting your own program on my invitation for
evaluation and potential inclusion, _and_ I have asked you to email
(or you don't have ftp).  You may pick your own choice.  These are
just the general suggestions and preferences.
   We have many categories of programs, but as you can see from our
file lists, we are particularly interested in good MsDos utility
programs of various kinds.  We are also very interested in keeping
the versions of the programs up to date.  Your help and information
in this respect would be very much appreciated.  On the other hand,
please note that some categories of material are outside the scope
of our archives.  For example games are accepted only in special
cases.  Educational games have been welcome, including good games of
wit.  A very limited number of recreational games of exceptional
quality have been taken in as examples.  Recreational Gif pictures
will not be accepted.  Religious, political and comparable material
is not welcome at all.

6. *****
 Q: Should I offer to email this utility I have at my disposal?

 A: As a general answer I would say that the results of this kind of
an offer often come as a nasty surprise to the person offering the
service.  Several unsuspecting users have had the problem of being
completely inundated with the subsequent email requests, and may
even have to withdraw the offer.  A much safer avenue is to tell
where the utility is available.  Or if it is not yet available
anywhere on the net, first upload it to a suitable ftp site (don't
forget to notify the moderator).  Most often this means Simtel20
and/or garbo.uwasa.fi archives.
   But if you have gullibly made such an offer I suggest that you
grit your teeth, and see things through.  The least you should do is
to make the information available where and how the utility can be
obtained, if you have to go back on your word of emailing directly
to the users.
   Now what to do in the case if you are a user who has seen some
goodies offered, and the offer of emailing then withdrawn.  Back to
the old file lists.  We have several at garbo.uwasa.fi archives.  If
you get the following files you have a good change of finding what
you are looking for: /pc/INDEX, /pc/ts/0dir-ts, /pc/ts/tsarc114.txt
(or whatever is the latest version number), /pc/pd2/0dir-pd2,
/unix/ts/0dir-u, /pc/pd2/files-mm.zip, and Simtel20.arc.

12. *****
 Q: May just go ahead and I post binaries in non-moderated groups?

 A: I would strongly advise against it.  On top of that I seem to
recall that the net rules don't like it (news.announce.newusers has
more information), let's look at this from a purely practical point
of view. If netters start posting binaries, several problems will
soon occur:
    1) The traffic will explode, since it is bound to be more or
       less haphazard. This is bound to invoke action sooner or
       later from the systems along the feed and/or net
       administration.
    2) There are no guarantees against trojans and other nasties.
       (This does not mean that the other methods are absolutely
       safe, but the likelihood is smaller by far.)
    3) The probability of commercial material being posted over the
       net increases, with all the consequent repercussions.
    4) The idea is very wasteful of net resources. Remember that
       there are over 50000 readers in eg comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.
       Much better to put/get stuff into/from the orderly moderated
       groups, or use anonymous ftp, mail servers, or good BBSes.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37