[comp.lang.pascal] Copyrighted softwareSKIP/NEWSGROUP

g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) (03/09/91)

In article <PET111.91Mar8071610@park.bu.edu>, pet111@park.bu.edu (Frank Petrucci) writes:
> There have been a number of articles regarding copyrighted software.
>I bet
> people who purchase sw get really upset when they hear of others who
> are stealing.  Does this anger result from being forced to pay for sw
> out of fear of punishment or a sincere respect for the creative effort
> of an individual or corporation.

...probably both and one more reason:  Those who have actually spent
months creating software for profit probably feel violated by the pirates.
They purchase software because they understand.

>      Fortunately, Turbo Pascal is reasonably priced maybe even for
> students.

For $50.00 (student price) the students can get some real quality.  The
documents are more than worth it!

>      We all know how we feel when being judged by another person.  It
> is even worse when accused falsely.  Passing judgement or assuming
> knowledge of good and evil is the worst law we did, do, and will
> break.  Read some literature with that in mind, or ask adam and eve.
> There is no better way to isolate someone, including yourself, from
> humanity by passing judgement.

I don't understand.  Who is passing judgement?  If the software is meant to be
sold and not pirated, then it is wrong to priate.  If a clothing store is
left open at night, then is it right to seal the merchandise just because it is
easy to do?  Of course not.

No civilization can last long being based on fear-of-being-caught; it can last
by being based on mutual respect.

-- George C. Harrison                              -----------------------
----- Professor of Computer Science                -----------------------
----- Norfolk State University                     -----------------------