[comp.lang.pascal] TV - again

C0361@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu ( Thomas Jenkins) (03/09/91)

Ok,

  I still haven't gotten an answer for the unable to access symbol problem,
but have found it to be a debugger problem.  Careful tinkering revealed the
true problem.  I'm using multiple PInputLines to enter information about a
client inside a dialog box.  I've declared a record of the string types used
by my PCustomer Object in reverse Z order  ( or the same order inserted in ).
The problem is that I'm getting garbage out  when I call GetData.   Am I
doing something wrong?

  I'm not using PStrings.  Is this required, but not mentioned?  Help?

tom

THOMAS E. JENKINS, JR.                +--------+  FROM SHOE  +--------+
                                      |"IS THE COMPUTER STILL GIVING  |
PROGRAMMER,                           | YOU TROUBLE?..."              |
  UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA        |"NO, NOT ANYMORE..."           |
  C0361 AT UNIVSCVM.BITNET            |"WHAT DID YOU DO?..."          |
  C0361 AT UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU |" I TURNED IT OFF."            |
                                      +-------------------------------+

kuebeler@chopin.udel.edu (Mark Kuebeler) (03/11/91)

In article <26225@adm.brl.mil> C0361@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu ( Thomas Jenkins) writes:
>Ok,
>
>  I still haven't gotten an answer for the unable to access symbol problem,
>but have found it to be a debugger problem.  Careful tinkering revealed the
>true problem.  I'm using multiple PInputLines to enter information about a
>client inside a dialog box.  I've declared a record of the string types used
>by my PCustomer Object in reverse Z order  ( or the same order inserted in ).
>The problem is that I'm getting garbage out  when I call GetData.   Am I
>doing something wrong?
>
>  I'm not using PStrings.  Is this required, but not mentioned?  Help?

Check to see if the fields defined in the record being passed to
GetData are the same size as the TInputLines, i.e., if an input line
is set up to read a string of up to 40 characters, then the
corresponding field in the data record should be type string[40].
Since GetData only copies the same number of bytes defined in the
TInputLine, if the first field in your data record is larger (a type
string with no size attribute is 256 bytes long), when you access the
strings after the call to GetData, they will most likely contain
garbage.

--
Mark Kuebeler                 kuebeler@chopin.udel.edu
Dept. of Math. Sci.