[comp.lang.pascal] TP memory problems

rocker@desire.wright.edu (03/15/91)

I am finially nearing the end of a rather larger (>3500 lines) Turbo pascal
5.5 program.  Throughout development, I've ran into many memory problems.
Thanks to anothe UseNetter, I learned I had to put a

	STACKS=18,256       (was 18,128 until last week, defult is 9,??)

The last thing I need to add is a backup capability.  I was going to the
program write and EXEC a .BAT file, but I don't think I can give EXEC enough
memory.  If I use $M to set heapmax low enough for EXEC, ny NEWs barf, if
it's not high enough EXEC does not run, DOSERROR=8.

All I have in the .BAT is three COPY *.xxx commands, anyway to do this
without re-starting COMMAND.COM?

This program has many varibles, both static and dynamic, and has its own
timer interupt handler.

Any halp is greatly appreaciated.

ronnie

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.154513.2859@desire.wright.edu> rocker@desire.wright.edu
writes:

[stuff deleted]

>The last thing I need to add is a backup capability.  I was going to the
>program write and EXEC a .BAT file, but I don't think I can give EXEC enough
>memory.  If I use $M to set heapmax low enough for EXEC, ny NEWs barf, if
>it's not high enough EXEC does not run, DOSERROR=8.

On simtel20.army.mil, PD1:<MSDOS.PGMUTL>EXEC23.ZIP

This swaps your program to either EMS or hard disk before doing the EXEC call.
It's very similar to Ralf Brown's spawn30 routines for TC and MSC, but this
one also works with TP and includes source.  EXEC23 uses up a little more
memory than Ralf's stuff (2K vs 1K), but then Ralf's stuff doesn't work
directly with TP :-(

--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1