[comp.lang.pascal] More data than I can fit in an array

rosine@whittaker.rice.edu (Rosine W. Hall) (03/17/91)

No flames, please.  I'm an ecologist who occassionally must program.
I've got a big dataset which I must read in and then have random
access to.  It won't fit in 64K, so I get TP (version 5.0) error 96.

I have the feeling that as an amateur, I'm missing something with
Pascal's record structure, the use of types, and pointers... I have
RTFM, without much understanding, and maybe need some advice on
getting started, or finding a basic (no pun intended) reference.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can suggest.
Thanks,

Rosine W. Hall

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar16.182933.6855@rice.edu> rosine@whittaker.rice.edu (Rosine W. Hall) writes:
>No flames, please.  I'm an ecologist who occassionally must program.
>I've got a big dataset which I must read in and then have random
>access to.  It won't fit in 64K, so I get TP (version 5.0) error 96.
:

For information and pointers to code on handling arrays larger that
64K see /pc/ts/tsfaq17d.arc Frequenlty Asked Questions available
from our site.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

Bruce.Mcara@f72.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Bruce Mcara) (03/18/91)

Look up the GetMem procedure in your Reference Manual.  What this procedure
does is allocate memory on the heap for whatever size variable or structure
you need and returns a pointer to this memory.  GetMem can allocate up to
64K per pointer so now what you need is a way of keeping track of pointers.
This is where linked lists come in.  For a good, easy-to-read discussion of
linked lists get a copy of Turbo Tutor.

--
Bruce Mcara - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!72!Bruce.Mcara