[comp.lang.pascal] GARBO.UWASA.FI

baumgard@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jon Baumgardner) (03/19/91)

I have tried unsuccessfully for weeks to get files from an FTP Anonymous site
about Turbo Pascal.  I spent all morning today downloading files from
Garbo.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.37).  I got nktools.zip, pas-tool.zip, unit.zip
and five others.  However, when I downloaded the files to my pc, and trid
PKUNZIP.exe on them, they were corrupted.  I noticed the file size increased
when I transfered the files to the pc.  Then I tried to run PKUNZIP and
the message should happy faces that it could not recognize.  So, I ran
PKfixfile and REZIP and still had problems.  Any suggestions?
Also, everytime I ftp SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL, it says there are too many anonymous
users.  Is Simtel down?  I have tried 15 times.

Note: I first download from ftp site to the SUN unix environment then use
Kermit to go to the PC.

Thanks for your help.  I will summarize and post the results.
Jon BAumgardner CDP

cjp310@coombs.anu.edu.au (Chris @ SSDA ...) (03/19/91)

baumgard@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jon Baumgardner) writes:

>I have tried unsuccessfully for weeks to get files from an FTP Anonymous site
>about Turbo Pascal.  I spent all morning today downloading files from
>Garbo.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.37).  I got nktools.zip, pas-tool.zip, unit.zip
>and five others.  However, when I downloaded the files to my pc, and trid
>PKUNZIP.exe on them, they were corrupted.  I noticed the file size increased
>when I transfered the files to the pc.  Then I tried to run PKUNZIP and
>the message should happy faces that it could not recognize.  So, I ran
>PKfixfile and REZIP and still had problems.  Any suggestions?

Yes, all file transferes should be in binary mode.  this includes both ftp
(use binary, or tenex) and in kermit on your sun somethink like
(set file type binary)

>Note: I first download from ftp site to the SUN unix environment then use
>Kermit to go to the PC.

Best of Luck.

Chris Patterson
                  Chris Patterson | Ph:  +61 6 2492185
     Social Science Data Archives | AARNet: Chris@coombs.anu.edu.oz
   Australian National University | "I wonder what happens if I ..."

ehill@ziggy.austin.ibm.com (03/19/91)

Check your kermit settings for file type (text/binary), also
the parity and others.

Good Luck,
Ed Hill
Personal Systems Programming, IBM Austin

nate@neutron.lcs.mit.edu (03/19/91)

jon,

	Most likely you did not do a binary or image transfer
either suring the ftp to your host or from the host to your pc.
Type binary or tenex before FTPing.  Use kermit -i -s foo.zip
for example in binary transfer from a uniz host.

good luck...    nate liskov

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/19/91)

In article <12011@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> baumgard@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jon Baumgardner) writes:
>I have tried unsuccessfully for weeks to get files from an FTP Anonymous site
>about Turbo Pascal.  I spent all morning today downloading files from
>Garbo.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.37).  I got nktools.zip, pas-tool.zip, unit.zip
>and five others.  However, when I downloaded the files to my pc, and trid
>PKUNZIP.exe on them, they were corrupted.  I noticed the file size increased
:

   No the files are _not_ corrupted.  Most of these complaints are a
result of the user's own failure to use the binary mode (tenex in
the case of Simtel20) in the transfer from the ftp site to his/her
own site, and/or his/her failure to transfer the files in the binary
mode from his/her mailframe to the PC.
   If you want more information, you are welcome to email me for the
prerecorded instructions.  Study first them carefully.  That's a
much preferred alternative to conveying the net a wrong impression
of the operationality of any of the ftp sites.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37