[comp.lang.pascal] The UCSD p-System

smith@glinda.ctron.com (Larry Smith) (03/21/91)

Does anyone recall the old UCSD p-System?  It was last owned and maintained
by Pecan Systems in Brooklyn, NY.  They had produced a 32 bit version and
had compilers for Pascal, C, Modula/2, FORTRAN and possibly Ada (announced
but never shipped, I think).  Does anyone know if the p-System is still
around?  Who owns it?  How much would a source code license be?  Anybody?

Larry Smith
smith@ctron.com

milne@ics.uci.edu (Alastair Milne) (03/23/91)

In <1349@glinda.ctron.com> smith@glinda.ctron.com (Larry Smith) writes:

>Does anyone recall the old UCSD p-System?  It was last owned and maintained
>by Pecan Systems in Brooklyn, NY.  They had produced a 32 bit version and
>had compilers for Pascal, C, Modula/2, FORTRAN and possibly Ada (announced
>but never shipped, I think).  Does anyone know if the p-System is still
>around?  Who owns it?  How much would a source code license be?  Anybody?

   I do a great more than recall it!

   Pecan also has a division in Bristol, England, and I think it's
   the Bristol division that's doing most of the sales -- the p-System
   was usually more popular in Europe (and Canada? maybe?) than in the US.

   I never heard of Pecan collapsing, and from time to time one sees
   references to the p-System on this board.  I bought a MacOS-hosted
   version from them a couple of years ago.

   What sources would you want?  SYSTEM.PASCAL?  The further units in
   SYSTEM.LIBRARY?  The filer or the compiler?  Not the interpreter,
   I hope, unless you're feeling very adventurous.

   A great system.  Extremely modular and amazingly portable.  Interface
   is a bit aged by today's standards, but dealing with that would require
   little more than updating the CommandIO unit in SYSTEM.PASCAL .  And having
   long been used to the size of p-System code files, I still can't used to
   how big DOS executables are.

   Alastair Milne